Thread: AWM - Hydra 52 Pairing Issue

Former Algae Farmer

AWM - Hydra 52 Pairing Issue

I have been trying to pair a new Hydra with a new AWM Module with no success. I have been using the 5 step procedure in the AWM setup guide.
    Since the computer is upstairs and the aquarium is downstairs in the family room I first intended to put the light in the "pairing" mode and come upstairs, but it doesn't stay in that mode when you release the button. Next I ran a cable down the stairs, moved the computer to the Aquarium and tried hitting "Attach" and holding the reset button at the same time. Still no success!!

What else can I try?

I've tried most of the suggestions in this forum with no success,,,,
    Last edited by Bobert; 02-27-2014 at 21:48.

Frequent Visitor
    When you press the button and release it it won't stay flashing from my experience. But even so, when you press attach on your computer, you should see a percentage below on the page updating.

Former Algae Farmer
    Yes, I have never seen the updating indication on the screen.. I know what it's supposed to look like, but it has not appeared on my screen.
    The AWM Module appears to be properly installed(and the software seems to have the latest update. At least it says (OK)?? How much time after the red/green indicator starts flashing (and you release the reset button) and you hit the "Attach" on the computer?

Thanks for the response.
    Bob

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Yes, I have never seen the updating indication on the screen.. I know what it's supposed to look like, but it has not appeared on my screen.
    The AWM Module appears to be properly installed(and the software seems to have the latest update. At least it says (OK)?? How much time after the red/green indicator starts flashing (and you release the reset button) and you hit the "Attach" on the computer?

Thanks for the response.
    Bob
    I have done it within 5 seconds. All other fixtures should be turned off. If you see your hydra52 leds light up and only 2 of 4 pucks are on, then its pairing and updating.

Former Algae Farmer
    I'll run my long data cable down there again and try to stay within your 5 second rule. I had it down there once before with no luck, but that may have been before I had all of my other ducks in order.
    Thanks

Wanna Be Control Freak RickHrdlicka's Avatar
    Did you update the radio firmware and then unplug the AWM to reboot it?

Rick
    300g Mixed Reef with Full apex, PM1, ALD, AWM, AFS, PM2

Former Algae Farmer
    I did update the radio firmware, twice I think, but I'm not sure that I unplugged the AWM again the second time. I'll try it again when I get a chance this afternoon..

Appreciate the feedback.
    Bob

New User
    I had some issues attaching my first 52, after repeated try's I finally got it to attach. Contact with tech support suggested some other RF interference. I'm not sure what it might have been? Wireless router maybe?

Former Algae Farmer
    What is the frequency relationship between Wifi channels 1-14 and the AWM channels 1 - 19 ??

Former Algae Farmer
    Update: After working online with support, it was determined that the RF portion of the AWM was not working...properly.

I should be receiving a new AWM on Tuesday. I hope that is the end of this issue.

Former Algae Farmer
    Update2 !!
    The problem was with the AWM. Friday to Tuesday turnaround, not bad Neptune. Thanks to Neptune Support and to all of the Forum crew with their helpful hints, I had it working 15 minuites after I opened the box.

Thanks again.
    Bob

New User
    Good to hear it worked out. Neptune support to the rescue again. I was impressed!

New User
    Will the awm work with the 2016 apex? I am pulling my hair out. I went on a mission to find a pair of unopened hydra 52's found those then discovered the awm is no longer manufactured. Hunted down one and now I have spent the last 4 hours without success.

I have updated the firmware and rf. Restarted the awm between each update.
    I have the awm within 3 feet of the lights

Is there a quicker way to starting the pair function from the web interface or from the display unit? I feel like there is a significant lag from both.

What lighting sequence should i see from the awm led's?

Is there a visual confirmation from the hydras to show that they are connected so I dont have to keep checking the dashboard?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jfishfl View Post
    Will the awm work with the 2016 apex? I am pulling my hair out. I went on a mission to find a pair of unopened hydra 52's found those then discovered the awm is no longer manufactured. Hunted down one and now I have spent the last 4 hours without success.

I have updated the firmware and rf. Restarted the awm between each update.
    I have the awm within 3 feet of the lights

Is there a quicker way to starting the pair function from the web interface or from the display unit? I feel like there is a significant lag from both.

What lighting sequence should i see from the awm led's?

Is there a visual confirmation from the hydras to show that they are connected so I dont have to keep checking the dashboard?

Thanks!
    Yes; the AWM works with all Apexes.

There is no lag in the Hydra attach process; it happens almost instantly if you do it properly.

The answer to your last question is in both the AWM Get Started video and in the AWM manual - did you use these resources?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.