Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANY chance of a humidity probe?

Regular Vistor

ANY chance of a humidity probe?

Hey guys, I have an Apex Lite on my reef and I love it. Everything about it. I would not hesitate to buy another and recommend it to anyone.

Now, I have an 70 gallon reef ready converted into an indoor greenhouse with many rare orchid species from the Indo-Pacific rainforest regions (all completely legally imported or grown). I also have in this enclosure a captive bred and born green tree python. All tolled, it represents a significantly greater investment than my reef.

Watering, ventilation, lighting, heating etc. are all automated. And I don't mean to bash, but I use a digital aquatics herpkeeper. I bought it before I bought my Neptune. I hate it. I hate trusting my investment to it. It's buggy, the netserver is garbage, there is no internal iOS support, it randomly resets things, clicks things on and off, and the customer service is useless.

I would replace it. But, the one thing I really really need is a humidity probe. That's the only thing the DA unit has that the Neptune systems don't have.

Here is a video of my indoor greenhouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVn_VmZK5c0

See this thread for an idea:

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...ght=humidistat

It's not a probe in that it gives you a constant readout, rather it has a setpoint and when tripped you can then do something.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Contributor
    This is a great option if all you want to do is to make sure that your humidity stays in a particular range. You could even have two or more of them hooked up at different set points so that you could get alerts at extremes and one in the middle for control of something like a misting device or whatever.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    This is a great option if all you want to do is to make sure that your humidity stays in a particular range. You could even have two or more of them hooked up at different set points so that you could get alerts at extremes and one in the middle for control of something like a misting device or whatever.
    Bump for the same request. Control freak herp keepers are out there. I'm only missing a humidity probe to be utilize my already large Apex solution to manage my herps as well.

The big humidity control boxes suggested in the above link, including the one I use in my reef tank cabinet, are not practile to put into a terrarium. It'd be great to have a small form factor temp and humidity probe for my Apex similar to the zoomed.

http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryD...D=2&SearchID=5

The zoomed is ok, but it lacks control. I also have to use extra equipment (timers, fans, etc) to try and accomplish just a fraction of what I could do with a humidty probe on an Apex.

There isn't a market to support the R&D cycles to develop this?

Regular Vistor
    How about using an existing temp and humidity sensor? This high precision sensor will keep calibration at 90%RH or above as compared to most others that have a typical range of up to 80% RH. http://www.sensirion.com/fileadmin/user_upload/customers/sensirion/Dokumente/Humidity/Sensirion_Humidity_SHT25_Datasheet_V2.pdf

To give an existing Apex RH/Temp capability at up to a $100 per probe would be quite attractive to numerous vivarium keepers. The only real options today is (http://ecozonevivarium.com/products.aspx ) and at $400 (with one probe)for 4 outlets, Neptune does it better for cheaper.

I’d greatly appreciate any word. If there are no plans I have little choice but to spend the excess amount on the inferior ecozone product.

Frequent Visitor
    There may be some new options using the ASM(Advanced Sensor Monitor)? Hoping some tech savy herp keepers will return to the Neptune seen and this post and discuss reliable practical options at this point?

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraReef View Post
    There may be some new options using the ASM(Advanced Sensor Monitor)? Hoping some tech savy herp keepers will return to the Neptune seen and this post and discuss reliable practical options at this point?
    Here is one example that would likely work with the ASM. It does require a separate external power supply it seems. It has 0-1v and 0-5v outputs. One would connect it to the ASM and adjust the scale in the ASM settings accordingly.

https://www.instrumart.com/products/...perature-probe
    https://www.instrumart.com/assets/Va...-Datasheet.pdf

As you can see, the Apex product and associated probes are mighty cheap compared to the stuff out there in the industrial market!

Frequent Visitor
    Has anyone given this a try? I am setting up a large vivarium that will be controlled with an Apex classic and I would really like to monitor (and control) humidity.

Hydroponics Guy
    I put in a service ticket yesterday to ask if I could use the above mentioned sensor with the ASM. First tech, didn't know. So he sent it up to the engineers for their opinion. I am waiting for a response. I also called Vaisala and they are not familiar with the Apex systems. But the probe can be configured in a number of different ways. One thing I forgot to ask, was can the probe be ordered with a BNC connector? Next time I talk to them I will update this thread.

UPDATED: I forgot to mention, Vaisala did confirm the probe sends the data in analog, not digital. So keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Sanderson234; 07-07-2018 at 08:59. Reason: Forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderson234 View Post
    I put in a service ticket yesterday to ask if I could use the above mentioned sensor with the ASM. First tech, didn't know. So he sent it up to the engineers for their opinion. I am waiting for a response. I also called Vaisala and they are not familiar with the Apex systems. But the probe can be configured in a number of different ways. One thing I forgot to ask, was can the probe be ordered with a BNC connector? Next time I talk to them I will update this thread.

UPDATED: I forgot to mention, Vaisala did confirm the probe sends the data in analog, not digital. So keep that in mind.
    They of course dont have a manual for the ASM, so you have to dig through the forums to find this information. If any of this information is slightly incorrect apologies in advance (no documentation so some of this info is reverse engineering from forum replies)

The ASM can accept any 0-1V, 0-5V, or 4-20mA (requires a 250 ohm resistor across the current loop). It is still not available separately (though it should be) and you will need to do some digging with the sensor to figure out how the humidity converts to voltage (hopefully 5V is 100% and 0V is 0%), then you set the range (I believe this is also how calibration is done) for the desired display value so that the low part of the range is the reading at 0V and the high value is the reading at 5V. Ex 100% humidity at 5V would be 0-100 range, 100% humidity at 3V would be 0-167.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hydroponics Guy
    Thanks for the info, Zombie. It encourages me to continue my research. I'll call Vaisala and ask the questions you suggest. It appears to me, that if I can get the 0-5v sensor, with a BNC connector (hopefully I won't have to do this myself), it should work with the ASM. I just wanted some guidance before I put out over $500 for a sensor and the PMK.

Hydroponics Guy
    OK, more info from Apex and InstruMart (they sell the Vaisala probe).

Apex - sorry, you must purchase the PMK to get the ASM. No manual is available. They suggest you need to be very comfortable with troubleshooting and programming to utilize the ASM to it's full potential. And Tech Support for the ASM is limited to receiving some brief instructions from their team.

InstruMart - The Vaisala HMP60 communicates in analog. It can be configured to send 0-5v, and as zombie suggested 0% RH is 0v and 100% RH is 5v. It has 2 channels. The Humidity Channel must be used, the Temp Channel can remain unused, if necessary. The engineer said it has 5 leads and is not available with a BNC connector. The leads are 24vdc +, 24dvc -, Shared ground for RH negative and Temp negative, RH positive, and Temp positive.

So to summarize, to accomplish what I want (real-time humidity monitoring), I must:
    Purchase the PMK
    Purchase the probe, 0-5v configuration.
    Split the leads-2 to 24vdc (a Molex mini-fit 2 connecter female) and 2 leads to BNC (RH+, RH-). I will not use the Temp channel.
    In theory this should work. I will update this as I receive the parts and start testing my Molex skills.

P.S. This leads to another of my issues, not enough 24vdc outlets. And buying more 1Link modules is not an answer.

OK, more info from Apex and InstruMart (they sell the Vaisala probe).

Apex - sorry, you must purchase the PMK to get the ASM. No manual is available. They suggest you need to be very comfortable with troubleshooting and programming to utilize the ASM to it's full potential. And Tech Support for the ASM is limited to receiving some brief instructions from their team.

InstruMart - The Vaisala HMP60 communicates in analog. It can be configured to send 0-5v, and as zombie suggested 0% RH is 0v and 100% RH is 5v. It has 2 channels. The Humidity Channel must be used, the Temp Channel can remain unused, if necessary. The engineer said it has 5 leads and is not available with a BNC connector. The leads are 24vdc +, 24dvc -, Shared ground for RH negative and Temp negative, RH positive, and Temp positive.

So to summarize, to accomplish what I want (real-time humidity monitoring), I must:
    Purchase the PMK
    Purchase the probe, 0-5v configuration.
    Split the leads-2 to 24vdc (a Molex mini-fit 2 connecter female) and 2 leads to BNC (RH+, RH-). I will not use the Temp channel.
    In theory this should work. I will update this as I receive the parts and start testing my Molex skills.

P.S. This leads to another of my issues, not enough 24vdc outlets. And buying more 1Link modules is not an answer.
    24V power supply. Plug it in the wall.

Hydroponics Guy
    And when I do that, I really won’t need the ASM. I can use the BoB for the RH and Temp, I think? 0-5v through a BoB, or will just see ON or OFF?

A BoB is for use with dry-contact switches only. The Apex's digital switch inputs sense continuity, detecting if the connected switch is OPEN or CLOSED. You must not feed any voltage to a BoB.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

That's just to provide power to the sensor. That part can be plugged into the wall. The sensor output still requires an ASM.

Hydroponics Guy
    Thanks zombie and RussM, after I posted I realized the BoB would not work for me. I don't want OPEN or CLOSED, I want the actual real-time RH. I will update this thread as the parts arrive and I get to configuring everything.

Regular Vistor
    Ouch 300 dollars.

Apex needs to just give us a humidity module, it would sell like hotcakes and make this a reptile friendly system.

Frequent Visitor
    There are so many applications and the module would be easy to design.

- reptiles / amphibian enclosures
    - humidity control in stands
    - fish rooms exhaust control
    - General home monitoring

If offered I would buy 3 of the. One to control the humidity in my fish room and two for my dart frog setups.

Hydroponics Guy

Update

I guess I owe everyone an update. I received the new Vaisala HMP60 probe, but I haven't decided if I'm going to use it or return it. Get this, I bought a Mist Maker 5 to keep my humidity under control. It works fantastic in my hydro grow box. And here's a picture of the humidistat probe for the Mist Maker. Interesting, huh?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regular Vistor
    I guess I owe everyone an update. I received the new Vaisala HMP60 probe, but I haven't decided if I'm going to use it or return it. Get this, I bought a Mist Maker 5 to keep my humidity under control. It works fantastic in my hydro grow box. And here's a picture of the humidistat probe for the Mist Maker. Interesting, huh?

What is a mist maker 5? If it's just a 5disc Mist maker and it came with a humidstat I feel like you got taken for a ride. That should not have been over 115, best Mist maker disc avaible is only 115 as a DIY route.

Hydroponics Guy
    You are assuming a lot about me. No worries . For those of you that are able to DIY, go for it. For those of you that suck at making 22awg Molex pins and connectors, get a Mist Maker 5 for $145.99.

Regular Vistor
    You are assuming a lot about me. No worries . For those of you that are able to DIY, go for it. For those of you that suck at making 22awg Molex pins and connectors, get a Mist Maker 5 for $145.99.
    Oh no, that's where I was going to send ya lol. That's what I was talking about. That's 115, without the humidity probe.

There is premade kits like that with a steel bucket and they are like 700-800 dollars.

Frequent Visitor
    Custom Apex Humidity Monitor:
    https://youtu.be/INDmwfevKEo?t=480

Now I just have to beg the guy for part numbers and instructions. It doesn't look like it would be that complicated.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraReef View Post
    Custom Apex Humidity Monitor:
    https://youtu.be/INDmwfevKEo?t=480

Now I just have to beg the guy for part numbers and instructions. It doesn't look like it would be that complicated.
    He already told you the parts. So did the people in this thread. He is using the Apex ASM, which can only be obtained with the Par meter. 300 dollars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast