Thread: Apex more than one tank

New User

Apex more than one tank

I just bought a apex controller I have heard that you can run more than one I have a 120 in my kitchen and a 50 in my living how do you go about controlling both tanks and what else do I need to do so thanks so much for in put

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Apex more than one tank

You can get away with one base module to run a whole system spread across several aquariums.

Just add Energy Bars and Modules connected with the AquaBus to cater for your second tank.

A secondary Display Module can be added too. They settings are cloned between Displays on the same system but they have multiple screen configurations. So you can have one config for one tanks and another for your tank in the next room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Apex more than one tank

How far apart are the two tanks and can you run a cable between them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - please pardon my brevity.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User

Re: Apex more than one tank

They are maybe 40 feet what kinda of cable would I need

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Apex more than one tank

You can use multiple 15' USB extension cables. But the best solution is a custom long cable.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-apex-xxg.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - please pardon my brevity.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Apex more than one tank

USB with no repeaters or amplifiers, Male-A ends (both).

Alan
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Regular Vistor
    I control two tanks in my office with my Apex. My main tank is 400 gallons and I also control my coral grow out tank. The smaller coral tank has it's own energy bar. Main tank has 4 bars. The only concern now is this is now a single failure point.

New User
    Is there any way to monitor two tanks on one Apex controller using the wireless module? I can not run a USB cable between my show tank and quarantine tank.

Quote Originally Posted by paulhr View Post
    Is there any way to monitor two tanks on one Apex controller using the wireless module? I can not run a USB cable between my show tank and quarantine tank.
    No, it is not possible do a wireless AquaBus connection. A second controller is really the only option if running a long USB cable between the two locations isn't feasible.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhr View Post
    No attic or crawl space?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

New User
    [QUOTE=Mpfaff77;8078]No attic or crawl space?

I have an attic. The issue is that new homes in our neighborhood have blown-in Styrofoam. As a result most wall are fill with stiff foam. There is no way to feed a USB cable through the walls. I like it, very energy efficient.

New User
    [QUOTE=paulhr;8085]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpfaff77 View Post
    No attic or crawl space?

I have an attic. The issue is that new homes in our neighborhood have blown-in Styrofoam. As a result most wall are fill with stiff foam. There is no way to feed a USB cable through the walls. I like it, very energy efficient.
    Also, most new houses have fire stops every 4 to 6 feet. Which means a 2 by 4 stud running horizontally. Ran into this problem recently. The only way would be to buy some of that square conduit they sell at electronic stores and paint it. Not the nicest solution...

Has anybody actually tried connecting a USB repeater?

Quote Originally Posted by f22_raptorpr View Post
    Has anybody actually tried connecting a USB repeater?
    AquaBus is not USB. Plain USB cables are ok to use, but USB devices must not be connected to the Apex system. USB extenders/repeaters are USB-powered and therefore fall into the latter category.

New User
    Thanks for the link. Besides the custom USB what other hardware would I need? i.e. 4 Bar, PM2.... I was looking at just temp and PH, and better control of lighting. The second tank is a Bio Cube 14.

Frequent Visitor
    I know this is an old thread but how would you update modules & calibrate PH probe on "slave unit"?

Everything communicates with the base unit through the aquabus. So, the base unit would see any modules or probes by a unique address.

Apex more than one tank

Quote Originally Posted by Mical View Post
    I know this is an old thread but how would you update modules & calibrate PH probe on "slave unit"?
    What do you mean by “slave unit”? A second display? If so, then you use the menu system of the display most convenient to use. And, you don’t have to use the display; both activities you listed can also be done using the web-based interface.

Frequent Visitor
    Slave unit - I meant second tank that's equipped with EB8, PM1 and temp & PH probe connected to my existing tanks main display.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mical View Post
    Slave unit - I meant second tank that's equipped with EB8, PM1 and temp & PH probe connected to my existing tanks main display.
    The apex has no clue that there is a second tank. It simply does what it is configured to do. You are the one defining where the modules go, but that is not a concern to the apex unit. You update modules the same way no matter where they physically reside.

BTW, my apex unit runs 5 completely independent systems plus a common ATO and auto water change system.

Regular Vistor
    [QUOTE=paulhr;8085]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpfaff77 View Post
    No attic or crawl space?

Home Depot sells a kit called Glow sticks, they are stiff 1/4" fiberglass rods. If you tape the aquabus cable to the rods and then push the rod down the edge of the wall till you get to a pre made hole in the wall about 14"s above the floor you can run your cable. If you don't understand anything PM me your phone # and I can step you through it.
    Mike

NSI Member
    I highly doubt this is recommended or supported but... I originally had RO Top off and Auto Water Change in my previous home. There it was easy because tank shared wall with Garage. I moved over the summer to a new construction 2 story home where the tank and garage were on opposite sides of the house. I refused to go back to manual top off and manual water changes. I bought a Cat 6 cable rated to be buried, and ran it along with 3 1/4'" water lines through my yard to the other side of the house to the tank from my garage. I cut the ends off the aquabus cable and wired it to the Cat6. Total length was about 100ft. I have been using this setup for 6 months without any issues at all.
    Last edited by Mal7887; 11-25-2017 at 03:43. Reason: Spelling