Thread: Apex Failure Where do I go from here?

Regular Vistor

Exclamation Apex Failure Where do I go from here?

I had been running 4.31 3B14 firmware for several weeks with no problems. All of the sudden yesterday, nothing is working. I tried browsing to the controller, and would get one or two pages to display before it would stop communicating. Tried several power cycles, including full system power cycle (all modules, all devices), and still nothing. I have tried several times to re-load firmware, most times it just hangs up here:

Loading firmware file into memory
    Firmware file load complete...
    Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector
    Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector complete...
    The controller address is: 192.168.1.99
    Connecting to controller at address: 192.168.1.99
    Connecting
    Apex running in boot loader mode
    Trying to connect: attempt 1

One time it actually loaded all the firmware, but at the end it said that firmware update failed.

What are my options? I am out of warranty. I called my LFS, and he tells me that he can't sell me just the head unit. Do I really need to spend >$500 for a whole kit, even though I just need the controller?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I doubt anything is broken...sounds like your firmware got corrupted somehow. Have you looked at this sticky? Try those in order

http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...ating-firmware
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Regular Vistor
    Going direct connect with my laptop. Firmware updates no problem. Can not update webpages. So pretty much in the same spot I was before. All modules still flashing yellow, and no access to the APEX. If that's not broke, not sure what is. I've been an Controls Engineer for 20 years, so I think I know Broke Would have had no problem going to my LFS and dropping $250 on a replacement controller. Would have been up and running by now. His latest price sheets don't have the controller by itself. Perfect timing here.... We are days away from having our first baby.

Firmware updates no problem.
    That's not true - you posted a screen shot where it's failing and you said it only updated 1 time but then said it failed. So does it update the firmware or not?

Can you post a screen shot of the error you're getting when you try to update the web pages?
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!

Regular Vistor
    When I posted the first time, I was trying to do the firmware update over my network (through router and switch). Now I am connected with a single cat5 cable to my laptop. It says the firmware update is successful. When I try to update the webpage, it updates a few files, but ends up failing. I will get snapshot of that ASAP.

Do you have you lan connection set to a static IP in your network manager?

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Do you have you lan connection set to a static IP in your network manager?
    Yes, I am using fixed IP addresses at the moment.

If thats the case, the only thing I can think of is to update bootloader from the display and try it again after you do that. I have had crazier things happen when I didnt update that after a firmware update.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

Regular Vistor
    If thats the case, the only thing I can think of is to update bootloader from the display and try it again after you do that. I have had crazier things happen when I didnt update that after a firmware update.
    I stopped using the display over a year ago. Been sitting on the shelf. I tried to plug it in, and it does not power up.

Edit: Just pluged it into an APEX Jr that I have, and it works fine.

Regular Vistor
    So after several attempts, I was able to update the firmware again. Then I tried to update the web pages. Here is what I get most of the time. Occasionally, it will update the first few files, and then error out.

Uploading file: aihost.bin...

Operation failed with the following error information:

Unable to connect to the remote server

If there is a telnet command to update bootloader, I would try that of your display doesnt work. Ive only got the message you showed on webpages when that wasnt updated, I was updating firmware over wifi, or my lan was set to dhcp instead of static.

You're getting network conflicts of some sort. The 2.2 bootloader won't help at this point - that's just for the firmware not the web pages.

And to be clear, you're connected directly from laptop to controller? You're not going through a router?

Is your laptop's wi-fi turned OFF?
    Al

Regular Vistor
    Wireless is off. The only thing I can't figure out how to do is to shut off Mcaffee Antivirus.

Here is another attempt to update the web pages:

Success
    Uploading file: aihydra.bin...
    Success
    Uploading file: aivega.bin...
    Success
    Uploading file: all.js...

My other question about how you're connected......?
    Al

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    My other question about how you're connected......?
    Directly with Cat5 cable.

Is there something else running on that laptop at the same time - some sort of streaming or multicast?

have you tried putting the laptop in safe mode with networking, leaving it directly connected to the controller and try it that way?
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by tomstechnic View Post
    Wireless is off. The only thing I can't figure out how to do is to shut off Mcaffee Antivirus.

Success
    Success
    Success

I bet your antivirus is the problem. Firewalls seem to cause some major problems when updating firmware. I have Norton, so I dont know how to turn of antivirus for McAffe, but im sure someone else has it thay can chime in.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    Is there something else running on that laptop at the same time - some sort of streaming or multicast?

have you tried putting the laptop in safe mode with networking, leaving it directly connected to the controller and try it that way?
    I uninstalled Macafee, went into safe mode w/networking, same results. Firmware completes, Web pages do not. I shouldn't need to jump though these kinda hoops to get it to work. I never had a problem with this unit until this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet your antivirus is the problem. Firewalls seem to cause some major problems when updating firmware. I have Norton, so I dont know how to turn of antivirus for McAffe, but im sure someone else has it thay can chime in.
    Nope. Antivirus uninstalled. Am I the only one that thinks the problem is the APEX?

At this point I think you may be right. I cant think of anything else to try other than installing the last firmware that worked on yours and hope for the best.

New User

Success
    Success
    Success

Im stuck at the exact same point, I have followed everything exactly the same, even had a guy from neptune take a look and he could't figure it out.

Have you had any luck trying to fix it?

Try something for me....

If Windows, open a Command prompt and type:

telnet 192.168.1.50 {Enter} (use the actual IP address of the Apex)
    If you get a command not found error, see post #3 in this thread: http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...shooting-eMail

Enter your username and password when prompted. Then type in dir and hit ENTER

If Mac:

Open Terminal

Type in:

telnet -K xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where the x's are your Apex's IP address. Note that the 'K' is uppercase.)

Press the {RETURN} key

As soon as you see the login prompt and some random characters, press Control-]

The prompt will change to:

telnet>

Type in

mode line

Hit {RETURN} 2 or 3 times until you see login:

Enter your Apex username {RETURN}, enter the password {RETURN}

Type in dir and hit RETURN

You will see list of files; at the end, there will be a line like this: Free space: 836352
    What is the number shown after Free space: ?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    What are my options? I am out of warranty. I called my LFS, and he tells me that he can't sell me just the head unit. Do I really need to spend >$500 for a whole kit, even though I just need the controller?...
    This doesn't really address your actual problem, but wanted to make a comment regarding this - just in case someone else is reading this later on down the road.

NO... you don't have to buy a complete package if you just need the base unit. I'm sure your LFS would like that, but Neptune (direct) will gladly sell you just the base unit by itself. I did this when I had to send in my base unit for a repair. That way I just swapped out new for old, sent old in for repair, and now have my old repaired base unit as a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_n View Post
    This doesn't really address your actual problem, but wanted to make a comment regarding this - just in case someone else is reading this later on down the road.

NO... you don't have to buy a complete package if you just need the base unit. I'm sure your LFS would like that, but Neptune (direct) will gladly sell you just the base unit by itself. I did this when I had to send in my base unit for a repair. That way I just swapped out new for old, sent old in for repair, and now have my old repaired base unit as a spare.
    Or you could buy a junior and sell it on craiglist when the old is repaired. Then its even cheaper

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.