Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your tank!

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar

Show off your tank!

Hey everybody!

I was thinking yesterday how weird it is that we spend all this time talking about our controllers, but never even mention the reason we have it... our aquariums! I feel like you guys are coworkers that I've known for 9 months but I haven't ever socialized with outside of work.

So go ahead and share whatever you'd like about your system. Personally, I'd like to see pictures of the tank(s), the "guts" of the system (workroom, equipment, etc), and a few sentences about everyone's experience in the hobby and current system husbandry, methodology and principals.

My lights havent come on yet today, so I will snap some pictures this afternoon and post my setup.
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

control freak wantabe
    You mean people actually keep tanks too!

I'd post pics of the guts but no one would like to see that mess!

I have yet to get a FTS that I like so here is three of the creatures...

duncan.jpg

frogspawn.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is my 90 gallon. It is in the living room, plumbed through the wall into the garage. Garage holds the sump and all equipment and filtration, as well at QT tank and water mixing, etc. I have been in the hobby 10 years, I've had main tanks between 75-180 gallons in the past and a number of other smaller tanks off and on. I took a big step back from the hobby a few years ago after graduating while things were up in the air so I am just getting back in the past year and a half. This time around I am trying to keep things a little simpler (i.e. not being an SPS snob) and it's definitely less stressful.

Fish:
    Regal Angelfish
    Gold Spot Rabbitfish
    5 Lyretail Anthias (1 male 4 female)
    Sunburst Anthias
    Blue Chromis
    Orange and Black Clownfish Pair
    Ornate Leopard Wrasse
    Helfrichi Firefish
    Possum Wrasse
    Barnacle Blenny

I basically run my tank similar to barebottom methodology, but with a shallow sandbed. High flow and heavy skimming, my goal is to remove nutrients and waste, not process them. I've had refugia in the past and they have never been successful for me for whatever reason. I'm currently using two part on dosing pumps and loving it... I have used kalk in the past with an ATO (hated it) and a calcium reactor. I am currently working on adding kalk on a dosing pump in an effort to not have all my eggs in one basket. That's all I can think of for now!

New User
    Great pics! I like the urchin hitch hiker… those barnacle blennies are a great addition to a tank.

Frequent Visitor
    Great looking tank. Really like the gold spot rabbit. I so much wish I could have plumbed thru my wall to the garage or a closet but didn't have a common wall. I have a 180 in living room with everything under the stand. To say it is crowded under there is an understatement and everything I do is a real pain in the butt with the exception basic things like skimmer access and water changes which are just a flip of a switch to do.

Thanks guys! Yeah the barnacle blenny is cool, I just got him a few weeks ago but we are really enjoying him. I've got a pair of Valenciennea longipinnis in QT that will be going in the tank in a few weeks to get rid of that last bit of cyanobacteria on the sandbed. Lets see some more tanks!

Regular Vistor
    Nice pics guys. Especially the frogspawn and Duncan by woodn.

No recent tank pic but here is the cabinet and sump. Pet food dispenser under a 18 gallon nano reef. In the sump there is a heater, a Remora skimmer converted for in sump use, a float valve connected to the RO/DI water supply, the return pump, and a temp sensor. Also in the cabinet there is an apex Jr with a pm1 module and a DIY breakout box (mounted on the door), and a wireless adapter. I hang a bag of GFO in the outlet stream of the skimmer. There are also leak detectors and a power failure detector wired into the breakout box. Pretty basic. Just like the tank, a lot of stuff in a little space. It's pretty well complete at this point with my only short term upgrade plan to replace the single oversized 250w heater (we keep the house very cold in winter) with two 100w heaters for reliability improvement. I have a UPS on order for the Apex also to complete my power failure notification plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

control freak wantabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodog2 View Post
    Nice pics guys. Especially the frogspawn and Duncan by woodn.

No recent tank pic but here is the cabinet and sump.

Thanks. Looks like you've done an amazing job of getting lots in there. How long has it been running?

bump!

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by woodnaquanut View Post
    Thanks. Looks like you've done an amazing job of getting lots in there. How long has it been running?
    The tank has actually been up for several years but everything in the cabinet has been upgraded in the past year with the Apex added just after Christmas. I have a lot of sps frags that need to grow into colonies so I want everything to be as bulletproof as possible to keep things stable.

aquarium.jpgIMG_20140416_022250.jpg

My first co2 aquarium freshly planted.
    Using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Some shots of my 180. Been set up or 3 years in this house, 7 years total. Sorry for the pic quality. Only camera I have is on phone.
    Tank Shots April 2014 010.jpgTank Shots April 2014 007.jpgTank Shots April 2014 012.jpgTank Shots April 2014 027.jpgTank Shots April 2014 011.jpg

New User
    Current FTS of my 90g born on 9/29/12.

Broke down and bought myself an Apex for Christmas. I travel alot, so being able to control & check on things was a no-brainer! Money well spent and wish I would've purchased Apex from the beginning! This tank and my 75g cichlid tank are my PTSD treatment tanks. lol. I know they are always there when I am having one of those days! Also, reefing has allowed me to meet some great people along the way who are very passionate for this great hobby!

BoxerbREEFs
    brads sump2.jpgbrads tank.jpgbrad sump-tank 2.jpg
    I am moving from a 24 Gal AIO to a 180 starfire all around, a coast to coast trough overflow system, with a custom sump underneath. Attached are the Cads of the tank/sump and the actual sump. Excited to get this set up and start cycling!!! Its going to have a closed loop system powered by a Reeflo Barricuda Gold...Lots of Flow and am planning to run about 900 gph through the sump. Sump is set up to have 3 Supplements to dose with as well as a 18 gallon reservoir along the back for Top Off Water. I've got a doser (Kore 5th) but am reconsidering I want to dose based on ORP parameters....not just a slow and steady dose... Wish Neptune had a Apex compatible Doser...AHEM!

Frequent Visitor
    I really like the sump. Where did you get it? What are the overall dimensions, length, width and height? Is it a custom design? I have a 180 and just used a sump I had connected to my 300 gallon when I downgraded. I never have liked it because it is too tall (20") based on my stand height and cabinet door openings which makes it extremely difficult to reach plugs behind it and servicing the skimmer (getting it in and out) etc. I am considering changing it out but that would be a fun project.

Frequent Visitor

BoxerbREEFs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstorey View Post
    I really like the sump. Where did you get it? What are the overall dimensions, length, width and height? Is it a custom design? I have a 180 and just used a sump I had connected to my 300 gallon when I downgraded. I never have liked it because it is too tall (20") based on my stand height and cabinet door openings which makes it extremely difficult to reach plugs behind it and servicing the skimmer (getting it in and out) etc. I am considering changing it out but that would be a fun project.
    The Sump is designed to sit under a 32" stand, that is 2' from front to back (external), made of 3/4" ply. This is a semi custom design, from OceansByDesign.com, as I have them include the 5" ATO reservoir along the back... They have a couple stock designs. http://www.oceansbydesign.com/signaturefiltration.html Tell Mike that Brad sent you... lol They custom build each and every unit, so you can get it designed with any dimensions that you desire.

The Skimmer that they made to go in it is a MONSTER for a 180, (but you can never have enough skimming Good guys there and they do really quality stuff. Mike and Matt are really perfectionists, and their lines are really clean. They are the ones that are doing the assembly of the tank, skimmer, and plumbing on my tank.

k.com/d/14/04/25/qava5y5a.jpg[/IMG]

I don't have any good full tank shots on my phone but here's some of my favorites. Just got my apex Jr in yesterday so no pictures of the brain just yet.
    I've had my reef tank for a year and became obsessed with it around the same time!I had fresh water tanks before I started my reef. I have a mixed reef with mostly sps a few Lps with a Zoa& paly garden and Shroom garden.
    I'm still very new to this hobby comparatively speaking, but I try to soak up as much information as possible on a daily basis. I'm always in the middle of 2 or 3 diy projects and constantly want to upgrade everything witch only further upsets my wife! lol. Like I already said I just got my apex Jr and setting it up this morning so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be asking for help soon. I only got the apex Jr no modules yet, but plan on getting a pm1 asap.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Here's mine. 150 gal DT, 50 gal refugium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Here is my latest tank, first with Apex. I'm ruined forever

Frequent Visitor

Show off your tank!

I love FW planted tanks...I really want to do one!

@gdpno, wow how much sand is that? Benefits?

Here's my IM Nuvo 16. I've been doing saltwater for more than a decade, but I took a few years off from the hobby and now I'm back!

Here are a couple pics! Tank is in cycle.

Thanks for looking!
    Using Tapatalk

That's a cool looking bracket for your Kessil. Where did you get it?
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

@gdpno, wow how much sand is that? Benefits?
    I have about 6" of mixed sand and shells. I love jawfish and the deeper and more secure they can make their borrow the happier they stay. It is amazing to watch them create a proper borrow. They are quite the little engineer. They will excavate a bowl depression, measuring it to the proper depth. They will separate the excavations into separate piles of sand, small shell and larger rubble. Once they are happy with the overall depth they begin to build up the burrow with shells and rubble, backfilling with sand. It's pretty cool watching them fit the different size and shaped shells into place as they buildup the large tube that will become the burrow. Overall construction can take several days.
    A proper Jawfish burrow it not just simple a hole dug into the sand, but an amazing building feat.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    That's a cool looking bracket for your Kessil. Where did you get it?
    looks like some kind of tv mount/bracket mod.
    Chad

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast