Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use Current USA Orbit Marine LED Fixture with Apex?

New User

Use Current USA Orbit Marine LED Fixture with Apex?

Hi Guys,

I am looking into getting the Apex controller but I want to see if I can use all my hardware I already have with it. The main item is my Orbit Marine LED Fixture. It uses a Ramp Timer Pro which has some specs here:

Specifications:
    Model#1676
    Voltage: 12-24VDC
    Max.Wattage: 120 watts @ 24VDC / 60 watts @ 12VDC
    Max.Watts per channel:60w@24VDC/30w@12VDC
    Dimensions: 3.5” x 3.5” x 0.5”
    Cable Length: 12”
    Dimming Type: PWM
    Connector: DC Plug 2.5mm x 5mm
    Channels: 2
    *Check with your light manufacturer for compatibility

And some lighting specs here:
    Orbit_Marine_Light_Specifications.jpg

Anyways, I was thinking I might be able to use a Meanwell ELN-60-24D with it, but I was wanting to get some second opinions here. Can anyone help me out? I also will need to find the DC plugs to get the LED Driver to work with the inputs of the fixture. I believe I will need one driver per each channel, but I need to make sure this idea will work or maybe a cheaper/better LED Driver is out there.

Thanks for the help,
    Ken

Frequent Visitor
    Have you had this fixture for very long? If not, you might want to give it some time to see if it's going to grow what you want before you put more money into it to make it work with the Apex. It wouldn't be too fun to throw time and $$ into making it work, just to find out in 3-4 months that it really isn't putting out the light you thought it would.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but those specs don't look promising for a reef tank, unless everything is at the top of the tank.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt_n View Post
    Have you had this fixture for very long? If not, you might want to give it some time to see if it's going to grow what you want before you put more money into it to make it work with the Apex. It wouldn't be too fun to throw time and $$ into making it work, just to find out in 3-4 months that it really isn't putting out the light you thought it would.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but those specs don't look promising for a reef tank, unless everything is at the top of the tank.
    Probably should have mentioned this is a FOWLR tank.

I got a response from Current USA saying that the Meanwell ELN-60-24D would indeed work for my fixture, but since it is not a PWM output driver, that may not get the best results. I was informed that I may want to consider a 0-10V to PWM converter if my goal is to control this fixture given a 0-10V input from a controller.

Any recommendations?

Frequent Visitor
    Can't really recommend anything, but I remember reading on the interwebs about people somehow controlling PWM drivers with a 0-10V signal, so I think it's possible. Somehow. I recall it's not a easy-peasy DIY thing.

Glad to hear this is a FOWLR tank. I'm thinking a reef tank wouldn't really like that fixture.

New User

Use Current USA Orbit Marine LED Fixture with Apex?

AD110.jpg
    this is what you need to set up your orbit marine to the apex
    very easy to set up I CAN SEND YOU INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING HOW TO HOOK UP

New User
    heredia0223, can you post the instruction or other way i can have it

New User
    INSTRUCTIONS.pnghere you go
    Attached Files Attached Files

New User

Hi I'm new to the site can you please explain how to set up my current orbits led with my apex jr is it possible.

AD110.jpg
    this is what you need to set up your orbit marine to the apex
    very easy to set up I CAN SEND YOU INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING HOW TO HOOK UP[/QUOTE]

New User
    INSTRUCTIONS.pngyou would need 2 one for each color then you would hook up the power to each board the connect one board to each light connector and connect each board to the variable on the neptune

New User

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by umax5555 View Post
    You still need the converter to be able to use the orbit marine pwm not vdm so you have to convert pulse wave to variable

Quote Originally Posted by umax5555 View Post
    That isnt a driver. That just gives the control signal to the driver. If someone has a standard apex, those control ports are already built in.

New User
    If I have two of these lights can I wire both whites and both blues to separate boards? I would not need 4 would I?

New User
    Did it work? May you show me? Thank you, Paul

Regular Vistor

Lightbulb current usa lights

Quote Originally Posted by pramos View Post
    Did it work? May you show me? Thank you, Paul
    In the next few weeks I am going to try something based on this. The company that makes the board has a dual version the dad210 that should be a perfect match for this, it takes a 12-24 vdc power and will control two light channels , it has two 10 vdc inputs and uses that to set the output.
    For a current USA dual rig I need some barrel plugs, a box and a cable from the apex 10 vdc control line to this box.

When I have the parts and get it working I will post the results here.

New User
    Will be waiting! Thank you very much!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    By the way this is the adapter board http://digitallighting.com/animation...D%20dimmer.htm

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by figuerres View Post
    By the way this is the adapter board http://digitallighting.com/animation...D%20dimmer.htm
    Just an update for anyone who is interested:

I found a bunch of the minor parts on amazon.com for this and have them en-route
    ordered the pcb board from the mfg and got that last night.
    so this weekend I should be able to post some info on how it works and a decent parts list and build info.

looks like the adapter box will be just under $100.00 USD and not hard to make if it all goes right.

Regular Vistor

Regular Vistor
    WP_20151108_10_27_08_Pro.jpg

the wiring for the cat-5 cable is documented in the apex manual.
    the current usa wire harness was removed from the controller so that I did not have to cut it up to attach it.
    with a multi meter you can check the wiring before you go all the way.

the current dual harness has 5 wires that go into the control adapter, the center wire is the 24 V DC + signal, the two wires to the right are ground lines and can be connected as one wire.
    the two on the left are labeled c1 and c2 on the current usa circuit board and are not used.

I am not sure why but the output jacks on the current usa harness did not work with the new adapter so I used 4 standard dc power jacks.
    wire it all up the way the DAD210 product sheet shows.
    hook up to your apex variable ports.
    use the light wizard and you are good to go!

take the 24 VDC in and the ground and split it with some spare wire to power both sides of the dad210 inputs

take 4 dc jacks and make two pairs and hook them up to the outputs so that you have two jacks for blue on one side and two jacks for white on the other side.
    I will get a list of the parts I got from amazon .com to make the wiring up and the plastic project box.
    I drilled holes in the box to run the wires and when I closed it up I used some double sided tape to put the apex dimmer module on top and then hooked it all up.
    the box I used was slightly larger than it had to be but that gave me room to work.

parts from amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

from digital lighting .com
    http://digitallighting.com/animation...D%20dimmer.htm

the dad210 you will have to call them to order, 68.00 US
    the amazon parts was about 20 us with shipping.

if I had a good source for the plug used by current usa to connect the power brick I would have left the current controller alone.
    that plug is from llt in china and I could not find a source to order just one.

you could replace the whole plug if you wanted to modify the power brick, you can order

it should work if you wanted to do that.

if you have any questions post here and I will try to help.

to do this you should know how to use a multi meter and a soldering iron.
    if you do not have them or are not comfortable with them find an electronics repair person and show them this info and they can do the work in about 2 hours max.
    if they are good they can do this in an hour given that it's just hookup and make good contacts.

Regular Vistor
    Ordered all the part to make one. See how it goes. Appreciate this write up.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by GBSRay View Post
    Ordered all the part to make one. See how it goes. Appreciate this write up.
    Cool Deal, post any questions you have.
    it was not hard to make, just a bit of soldering and making sure you match up the right wires.

with 10 Volt DC and low amperage not much worry over getting hurt.

Regular Vistor
    I wasn't totally clear from your write up, were you not able to get the stock plugs to work going to each channel?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by GBSRay View Post
    I wasn't totally clear from your write up, were you not able to get the stock plugs to work going to each channel?
    You are talking about the 4 separate dc jacks for the led strips right? No I am not sure why, I think they did something with how they powered and wired from the stock parts.
    The regular jacks I got from amazon work perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast