Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Auto RO/DI Setup

Frequent Visitor
    I'm hooking up my Apex weekend and this going to be my 1st attempt at programming. I have a BRS 6 stage and 3 solenoids. I plan to use one to cut the flow from the supply line at ROHigh, this will relieve the pressure in the system. Then one to use in place of the flush valve. Right now I'm using a 3-way valve after the RO to flush the initial TDS creep manually at startup. After the output from the RO one end goes to a y connecting the waste line and the other goes to the DI. This is where my confusion is. Will I need two solenoids to replace the 3-way valve? One to block the flow to the DI and the other to open flow to waste, then after a period of time swap the states of those two solenoids?
    If that's the case I may just stick with doing it manually. I'll probably be there at startup most of the time anyway, but the geek in me want to do full control...

Classic User
    Listen to the geek side of your brain! The other side may be a penny pincher. Geek is always more fun.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Russ View Post
    I guess I am going to have to get a probe and conductivity monitor. I already have a PM2 at my mix tank. What I will need to find is a floating probe holder.
    What about cutting the 1/4" tubing and putting in a small watertight container with fittings on each side in the break. Then fashion a way to insert the probe into the container. Something similar to what you did with the float holders in your system. Then you could monitor a smaller sample size as it's being produced.

I'm not going to go that far, at least not now. But I'd still like to know about the best way to place the solenoinds for a simpler tds bypass.

Frequent Visitor
    @The-Russ I don't mean to hijack your thread. I just didn't think this was worth starting a new one for and its relevant to what you've done. Hopefully it will help anyone that wants to try this as well. I can edit this post and start a new one if you'd like.

I've about got everything worked out. My setup is very similar to The-Russ except I don't need the booster pump. I also have the first solenoid connected to the main supply line and not after the RO filters. The flush solenoid is in the same spot and I've added a 3rd in the line that connects the RO to the DI. I put a Y in that line, one end goes to the DI the other goes to the solenoid. The out line from this one goes to another Y that joins the waste line. I'm not sure how this is going to work without a 4th solenoid. I know some water is still going to the DI but I'm not sure if the higher pressure of the waste line is going to force that water into the DI as well. This will take some testing.

Could someone give this a once over this and let me know it looks correct? First is the 3 actual outlets then 4 VO's:

RODI_ON_1
    Fallback OFF
    If ROLow CLOSED Then ON
    If ROHigh OPEN Then OFF
    Defer 001:30 Then OFF

RODI_FLUSH_2
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet RODI_ON_1 = ON Then ON
    If Outlet FlushStart = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet FlushOSC = ON Then ON
    If Outlet FlushEnd = ON Then ON

RODIBypass_5
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet DIBypass = ON Then ON
    Defer 003:00 Then ON

FlushStart
    Set OFF
    Defer 001:30 Then ON

FlushOSC
    OSC 000:30/000:15/059:45 Then ON
    If Outlet FlushStart = OFF Then OFF

FlushEnd
    Set OFF
    If ROHigh OPEN Then ON
    If Outlet RODI_ON_1 = OFF Then OFF

DIBypass
    Set OFF
    Defer 003:00 Then ON

So far every thing seems to be working correctly except RODIBypass_5. When ROLow is tripped nothing happens with the outlet. If I manually turn it on it works and it shuts down when turn it off. If I turn it on then to auto it will not turn off on its own and if I set it to off then auto it does not come on with RODI_ON_1. I am not having any problems with outlets 1 & 2 even though they're triac's. I'm not going to rule this out with #5 but somehow I think it's my coding.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frequent Visitor
    Hi Everyone,

I know this thread is a little old but thanks to the help in this thread I was able to get mine working perfectly.
    I figured I would also add it to this thread if it could help someone else whom wants to do this also.

I wanted to automate my R/O and to prevent TDS creep.

I added three solenoids to my system controlled by the Apex.
    First one is placed right BEFORE the water enters the first cartridge.
    My R/O has a manual flush so I replaced the flush valve with the second solenoid
    I added a tee right before the DI and placed a line there with the third solenoid for the drain line ( NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE WASTE LINE ). Drain line is R/O water that went through the R/O BUT BEFORE the DI!

Basically in a nutshell with the below programming I have the R/O going on when the low water switch in my reservoir is closed. When this happens the R/O first goes into a flush for 1:30 min then it opens the drain line so the water drains out for 1 min to clear out the high TDS then it closes and opens the water to the reservoir. Once the reservoir is full and the top switch is closed then the R/O automatically goes into a final flush.

Below is the programming:
    (VO = Virtual Outlet)

R/OWater

Fallback OFF
    If FWLOW CLOSED Then ON
    If FWHIGH CLOSED Then OFF
    Defer 002:00 Then OFF

R/OFlush

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet R/OWater = ON Then ON
    If Outlet FlushTimeVO = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet FinalFlushVO = ON Then ON

R/ODrain

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet DrainTimeVO = ON Then ON
    If Outlet R/OWater = OFF Then OFF

FlushTimeVO

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet R/OWater = ON Then ON
    Defer 001:30 Then ON
    Min Time 002:30 Then OFF

DrainTimeVO

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    Defer 001:30 Then OFF
    If Outlet FinalFlushVO = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet R/OFlush = ON Then ON
    Min Time 001:00 Then OFF

FinalFlushVO

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If FWHIGH CLOSED Then ON
    Min Time 001:30 Then OFF
    If Outlet R/OWater = OFF Then OFF

New User
    Sorry I know this is an old thread but I am in the process of doing this now.

Marksw you mentioned about 3 solenoids, are these wired into the break out box?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004thatchet View Post
    Sorry I know this is an old thread but I am in the process of doing this now.

Marksw you mentioned about 3 solenoids, are these wired into the break out box?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Thanks
    Hay no problem. The solenoids I used came with plugs so that you can plug them right into the energy bar. I purchased mine from auto Top off. com but that was before Neptune had theirs so you can purchase the Neptune ones or any other you want.

New User
    Ok many thanks for that. I have run out of plugs on the energy bar now so might have to look into a different way of doing this then

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004thatchet View Post
    Ok many thanks for that. I have run out of plugs on the energy bar now so might have to look into a different way of doing this then
    Just purchase a EB4. That's what I did

New User
    I shall have a look into this, I may be able to remove some bits from the plugs.

Cheers for you help 👍

New User
    Just had a look and can change my stuff around to give me 3 spare plugs. So going to give this a go.

I need to add some float switch’s into my RO container and get some solenoid and then shall give this a go.

Will need to tweak the code slightly as I have a booster pump but think that is easy enough to work out

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123