Thread: Can I buy a 220v european EB8 and conect it to my US 110v apex?

New User

Can I buy a 220v european EB8 and conect it to my US 110v apex?

Hi,

I want to see if I can add a second EB8 in my apex and make this a 220v. Since I live in an 220v country I am using a transformer for my apex 110v but also have some equipment in 220v so was thinking of buying an extra EB8 european 220v so I can have both voltages?

Thanks

Yes. Either will work on the same Aquabus. You just have to get the proper plug style because they make a few.

The Apex actually runs at 12vdc. The energy bars have transformers in them to go from 110 or 220 to 12vdc.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

New User
    hi, sorry to jump onto this thread. By what you have put there aquamanic, i can buy a US apex and it will work in the UK on 220v (ignoring the plug difference)

The controller yes. The modules other than the energy bars, yes.

The energy bars are made in 110v and 220v versions. Further the 220v versions have multiple plug options. You cannot put a plug adapter on a 110v energy bar and plug it into 220 mains. I think that was your question and the answer is no. They are not switchable between 110v and 220v. You have to buy the right voltage version for your country. But that just applies to the energy bars - all the other modules are universal.

You can use either a 110v or 220v energy bar with all the other modules and controller. So in the UK, get the UK EB6. All the other modules are the same.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    Hi every one
    I am with 5 months delay.
    But let me be helpful once.

I "think" I understand the question and answers also.

If I will say something wrong, please Aquamanic correct me, ok?

You can install both Energies Bars and connect with Apex to have communications with all outlets, but the EB6 220v must be plugged in 220v wall outlet and have to be used with all your 220v devices. And EB8 110v in 110v wall outlet for use with 110v devices.
    The Energy Bar will supply the same voltage that is energized. The 12v is for communications with controler .

Only do not forget that 220v is 50Hz and 110v is 60Hz, for electronics devices usually it is not a problem, but for ac motors (pumps, Skimmers) it is.
    I bought in Germany a Tunze 220v 50Hz pump and even with transformer it not worked.

New User

connecting New generation energy bar 220V (European version) to the US new generation Apex (with 110V EB832)

Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    Yes. Either will work on the same Aquabus. You just have to get the proper plug style because they make a few.

The Apex actually runs at 12vdc. The energy bars have transformers in them to go from 110 or 220 to 12vdc.

Hi,

Your answer is very clear; thanx.

The original question was about the possibility to connect the European EB6 (220V) to the US classic Apex with the EB8 (110V). So my follow up question is:

Can the NEW generation 220V energy bar (yet to be released European version) be connected to the new generation Apex (with the 110V US energy bar EB832)?

Sorry for re opening this . . . . or, if I asked a question with an obvious answer I only use electrical equipment but don't know much bout how they run

thanx!

Regular Vistor
    So aquamanic you are using 110v power bar in 220v country by using a stepdown transformer ? Is that correct ? Are you using a 2000w transformer ?

Frequent Visitor
    I could Never get an EB 832 110v
    To work with my US Apex ..Using a step Down Transformer
    .Even a Transformer / Rectafier ..(voltage stableizer ..Expensive one ..

Had to box up 110v EB8 ..And Buy a 220 v EB 6 ..(or 2 ) ..
    Dissapointing to say the Least !!

But ok ..
    Any how ..Hope they come out wit a 220v E Bar soon ..but I Doubt they will...
    Never mind

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I would not say step-down transformers are expensive ... you can get one for 50 GBP/EUR.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bronson-VT-.../dp/B015J4X07G

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by irayfuego View Post
    I would not say step-down transformers are expensive ... you can get one for 50 GBP/EUR.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bronson-VT-.../dp/B015J4X07G
    Correct..mine was about Same ..
    But ..50 GBP /EUR ..is Certainly More than 5 or 10 GBP for Many on the Market I live in...

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Not sure why it won't work for you. I have an EB832, and EB8 and an EB6 all connected to my apex. The EB832 and EB8 are on a 3000w transformer, and the EB6 is plugged into mains. Works fine.

The only thing I just found out about, from Apex support, is only certain EB6's have an Ammeter built into them, and apparently mine is one of the ones that doesn't. It's the UK style plug one, not the universal one. I wondered why I didn't have an EB6 power meter on the dashboard and apparently that's why.

EB6 works just fine though.

One thing to keep in mind is that using an American style in international use does technically void the warranty of the energy bar. If done properly it van still work but if anything goes wrong down the line the fix and shipping will be ridiculous.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Ok boys,

but the matter is always the same: the missing of a EB832 for 230V.

If made with German Shuko standard will be fine for all (simple to arrange an adapter if needed).
    The problem is only the socket dimension. the US style is very compact, the DE not the same.

I hope in a very soon good news from @Terence about it. Ok, we have some very interesting last accessories... but misses the ground (a new EB 220V)

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that using an American style in international use does technically void the warranty of the energy bar. If done properly it van still work but if anything goes wrong down the line the fix and shipping will be ridiculous.

This is why it annoys me when Neptune suggest "just using a transformer" to get over the fact they wont invest in developing a 220v EB832. That's added onto the fact that you'd have to get different equipment to plug into it, all with their own warranty nightmare.

US mains is not only a different voltage, I believe it's a different frequency? This isn't going to make much difference to a hair dryer, but to a microprocessor controlled Apex, then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by tastyfish View Post
    ...when Neptune suggest "just using a transformer"
    Neptune Systems does not suggest, endorse, or support the use of a step-down transformer. The EB832 user guide clearly states this on Page 1:

The EnergyBar 832 is intended for use only in North America and other locations which have 120VAC 60Hz electricity.

And Terence has posted things like this on Facebook many times:

EB832_Intl.PNG
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tastyfish View Post
    US mains is not only a different voltage, I believe it's a different frequency? This isn't going to make much difference to a hair dryer, but to a microprocessor controlled Apex, then maybe.
    The Apex runs on DC, therefore this isn't applicable

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Neptune Systems does not suggest, endorse, or support the use of a step-down transformer. The EB832 user guide clearly states this on Page 1:

The EnergyBar 832 is intended for use only in North America and other locations which have 120VAC 60Hz electricity.

And Terence has posted things like this on Facebook many times:

EB832_Intl.PNG

Russ, I've seen the comments a number of times. Don't make me breakout the screenshots lol.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by markstubb View Post
    The Apex runs on DC, therefore this isn't applicable

Power bar buddy, not the Apex controller.

Frequent Visitor
    ... But you typed "microprocessor controlled Apex"?

Doesn't matter for the power bar, either. The internal "electronics" all run on DC, therefore what I said is still applicable. The only time the frequency would matter is at the outlet itself. Most decent transformers will change the frequency, too.

Frequent Visitor
    Mark, the plugbar has more than just wires in it. And I agree on the step down but not all. ie: Check before you attempt to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by markstubb View Post
    ... But you typed "microprocessor controlled Apex"?

Doesn't matter for the power bar, either. The internal "electronics" all run on DC, therefore what I said is still applicable. The only time the frequency would matter is at the outlet itself. Most decent transformers will change the frequency, too.
    This isn't something I would expect anyone without an engineering degree to know, but DC is never truly DC. It is actually a DC component plus an AC ripple component. If the capacitors that smooth the rectified voltage are designed on the margin for 60Hz, there will be more ripple than allowed with 50Hz input. Too much ripple and components can be damaged. I do not know if this is the case for the apex or not, but it is the reason that many power supplies not labeled "universal 50/60 Hz" can lead to problems when used overseas.

Frequent Visitor
    This is absolutely true. The rectifier only has to deal with 20hz difference in frequency (full wave = freq * 2, so 120-100). Depending on if they're using a switching or pwm power supply, running a 50hz transformer at 60hz is no big deal. My understanding is running a 60hz transformer at 50hz is a bit problematic as it is that 20% (read Hz) higher rated power. I think it ends up with higher current as a result of the power going up doing the conversion.

My best guess, is that like most electronics, they used a rectifier set for 50hz as it'd work fine for 60hz too. A single design that would work in every power bar. That's why most wall wart type transformers say 100-240v 50/60hz - they just designed it for the worst case scenario and therefore it works on everything

Every made in china random gadget with a powercord is able to make something work on 110/220v 120/240v , only neptune systems cant.

Neptune equipment is allready overpriced in europe but a apex 2016 bundeld with a 220V powerbar designed in the previous century as they sell here through neptunesystems.eu is just sad.

Why is profilux able to make a working metered powerbar for 120v

New User
    Is this still the case? No power monitoring for the 220V power bar?