Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to program delayed start after feed mode

New User

How to program delayed start after feed mode

Hi there, just getting started with my Apex Jr, and looking for some help. I'll try to describe what I'd like to do, I did a couple of searches and didn't find what I was looking for...

So I want to use FeedA and FeedB; FeedA will be an actual feed mode once I purchase the AFS, but for now will not be used. I know I will need to program this in to a time of day (or two) but I don't plan on doing this for FeedB, which will be an as-needed maintenance mode (for manual water changes, changing carbon etc). So, for now, I'm just trying to program FeedB in Fusion.

I currently have two outlets programmed; my return pump on outlet 1 is set to advanced control type with the following:

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF

The second outlet is the heater, using a heater control type and set to come on at 77.1 and off at 77.4; I think I will need to change this to advanced so I can add the FeedA/FeedB OFF commands, but I'm not sure how to do this. I want my heater to turn off with the Feed modes because it is in the overflow and remote from the temp probe (which is in the sump); however, I guess this isn't necessary because I have the thermostat set for 79 so it shouldn't overheat, correct? Is it necessary to turn it off with the return pump? I guess either way if the temp probe gets exposed to air I will get an alarm, right?

The third and fourth outlets will be my skimmer and ATO. I think I will program these exactly the same as the return pump; however, I want them to come on a few minutes after the return pump so the skimmer doesn't overflow and the ATO doesn't alarm. How do I do this? And does this all sound good/make sense? Thanks for your time!

Also, I have one more kind of unrelated question. Since I'm using Fusion and don't really plan to use the display, if I disconnect the display from the Apex Jr can I then run 5 modules? I know, a lot of questions... Thanks in advance

For the heater, just add the line

If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF

For the skimmer and ATO, just add these lines and replace XXX with whatever amount of time (in minutes) you want them to wait after the return turns back on

If FeedA XXX Then OFF
    If FeedB XXX Then OFF

For the last part, you are correct. If you disconnect the display, that will allow you to add 5 modules. I would still keep it plugged in until you add the 5th module though. It comes in handy when you have network probems.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

New User
    I think I understand, but I can't just add a line to the heater, as it's in wizard mode. I should really read the manual haha. The second part of your response was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

You can add the line. Just change the programming type to advanced and then add it at the end. The wizard programming you have now will be retained when you do this.

New User
    Hmm. Well changing the line on the skimmer and ato to If FeedA 003 Then Off didn't do anything

Did you let the feed cycle finish or did you hit cancel?

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
    Hi there, just getting started with my Apex Jr, and looking for some help. I'll try to describe what I'd like to do, I did a couple of searches and didn't find what I was looking for...

So I want to use FeedA and FeedB; FeedA will be an actual feed mode once I purchase the AFS, but for now will not be used. I know I will need to program this in to a time of day (or two) but I don't plan on doing this for FeedB, which will be an as-needed maintenance mode (for manual water changes, changing carbon etc). So, for now, I'm just trying to program FeedB in Fusion.

I currently have two outlets programmed; my return pump on outlet 1 is set to advanced control type with the following:

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF

The second outlet is the heater, using a heater control type and set to come on at 77.1 and off at 77.4; I think I will need to change this to advanced so I can add the FeedA/FeedB OFF commands, but I'm not sure how to do this. I want my heater to turn off with the Feed modes because it is in the overflow and remote from the temp probe (which is in the sump); however, I guess this isn't necessary because I have the thermostat set for 79 so it shouldn't overheat, correct? Is it necessary to turn it off with the return pump? I guess either way if the temp probe gets exposed to air I will get an alarm, right?

The third and fourth outlets will be my skimmer and ATO. I think I will program these exactly the same as the return pump; however, I want them to come on a few minutes after the return pump so the skimmer doesn't overflow and the ATO doesn't alarm. How do I do this? And does this all sound good/make sense? Thanks for your time!

Also, I have one more kind of unrelated question. Since I'm using Fusion and don't really plan to use the display, if I disconnect the display from the Apex Jr can I then run 5 modules? I know, a lot of questions... Thanks in advance
    In each of those outlets you can simply ad a defer then on command.
    For example in the skimmer outlet mine looks like this:

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Outlet RIO = OFF Then OFF
    If Skmful OPEN Then OFF
    If SumpLow CLOSED Then OFF
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If Outlet Virtualfeed = ON Then OFF
    Defer 002:00 Then ON-----------------keeps outlet off for 2 min before restarting skimmer
    If Outlet Leak = ON Then OFF

but keep in mind this will keep the skimmer off for 2 minutes in any of my conditions. So if I turn my return pump off for maint. etc, the skimmer is tied into that. I don't want the skimmer on obviously until the sump gets back to normal level. If I only had the defer tied to a feed mode, then the skimmer could come back on in other situations, so I believe a defer statement works better for me at least here. I really don't need the skimmer to come right back on immediately in any circumstances, if I did, could just switch the dash switch to on from auto if I wanted to override the defer command.
    Chad

New User
    OK 2 things... First, I obviously don't know enough to be even asking questions, I didn't realize the feed cycle has a "complete", I hadn't set anything up yet so I thought it was manual only for now (on or cancel) . I need to read more obviously. And second, the defer command actually sounds better I think

They both have their advantages. The defer statement applies to the entire outlet programming, so if you want something to delay turning on only for feed cycles, then the feed timer delay is the way to go. If the defer makes sense to apply to any statement that turns it on or off, then defer is the way to go.

New User
    This is now what I have for the skimmer and ATO:

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF
    Defer 001:00 Then ON

I can probably remove the FeedA and FeedB lines from these now as long as I have them on the Return coding, correct?

Yes, you can delete those lines now that you have tied the skimmer outlet state to the return pump outlet.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    i have followed this coding with tieing the skimmer to the return pump but when i hit feed A cycle, the skimmer remains on. i can't get it to turn off.

Make sure the skimmer outlet is set to AUTO, not ON. It's that not the issue, copy and paste both the return and skimmer outlet programs.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    which skimmer and return programs? this is my skimmer program:
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet return = OFF Then OFF
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF
    If FeedB 005 Then OFF
    and this is my return program:
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF

even when i manually switch the skimmer to off on the dashboard, it doesn't turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by tbunnelldo View Post
    this is my skimmer program:
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet return = OFF Then OFF
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF
    If FeedB 005 Then OFF
    There's nothing to turn the outlet on. Change Set OFF to Set ON

Plug a table lamp into that outlet and test using Manual ON/OFF

New User
    it turns off the light manually but when i plug the skimmer in i can't turn it off manually. is this an issue with the pump on my skimmer?

What outlet # and what is the pump model?

New User
    it is outlet 3 and it is a tunze 9001

You are going to need to plug that in 4 or 8. That skimmer only draws 2.5 watts, which doesn't play nice with triac outlets.

New User
    that worked. thanks. one more question. i have a autoaqua smart ATO with this programming and it doesn't seem to stay on even though the water level is low.
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

That one is probably gonna have to go in a relay outlet as well, but it should have had no problem turning on (not turning off is the issue with triac and low wattage devices). Does the smart ATO work fine in a wall outlet?

New User
    Works fine in wall outlet. I may just plug it into normal wall outlet

Regular Vistor

Question on Skimmer & ATO Programming

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    For the heater, just add the line

For the skimmer and ATO, just add these lines and replace XXX with whatever amount of time (in minutes) you want them to wait after the return turns back on

If FeedA XXX Then OFF
    If FeedB XXX Then OFF

For the last part, you are correct. If you disconnect the display, that will allow you to add 5 modules. I would still keep it plugged in until you add the 5th module though. It comes in handy when you have network probems.

Hi. Can you help me on my programming? I did this for my skimmer instead of putting each code for a type of Feed mode

Skimmer Coding:

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Output RetPump_4_3 = OFF Then OFF
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

The above coding seems to be working fine, whenever it detect my Returm is off the skimmer will automatically turn off and wait 5 minutes to turn it back on.

So now i am trying to copy the coding to my ATO (Not sure if that's necessary coz i think when the return is off the water level as sump is going higher anyway, not lower)

Original ATO Code:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw1 OPEN then ON
    If Sw2 CLOSED then OFF

I intent to change to:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw1 OPEN then ON
    If Sw2 CLOSED then OFF

Would like to check if this coding is correct as is have 2 Defer statement on the code. Or Is there any better way to program it? I just want the ATO to wait till the water level is stable before activating the ATO function.

Hope to learn from you. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ckng2000 View Post
    Hi. Can you help me on my programming? I did this for my skimmer instead of putting each code for a type of Feed mode

Skimmer Coding:

Fallback OFF
    Set ON

The above coding seems to be working fine, whenever it detect my Returm is off the skimmer will automatically turn off and wait 5 minutes to turn it back on.

So now i am trying to copy the coding to my ATO (Not sure if that's necessary coz i think when the return is off the water level as sump is going higher anyway, not lower)

Original ATO Code:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw1 OPEN then ON
    If Sw2 CLOSED then OFF

I intent to change to:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Sw1 OPEN then ON
    If Sw2 CLOSED then OFF

Would like to check if this coding is correct as is have 2 Defer statement on the code. Or Is there any better way to program it? I just want the ATO to wait till the water level is stable before activating the ATO function.

Hope to learn from you. Thank you
    You cant have two defers in one outlet. You could relate it to the skimmer instead of the return if you want the 5 minute delay without requiring an extra VO.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Alright. Thanks for the info. Does this look correct to you? Btw can you explain why do people wanna turn of ATO During Feeding? Coz i am still thinking of the logic behind.

Fallback OFF

Set OFF
    If Sw1 OPEN then ON
    If Sw2 CLOSED then OFF
    If Skimmer = OFF Then OFF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast