Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zetlight and the apex

Quote Originally Posted by chevythang92 View Post
    ...still haven't got any where with it yet.
    If you want help, you really need to tell us what you are having trouble doing. But I'll summarize the process:

1. Connect the Advanced LED cable to the VDM and the control jack on the fixture
    2. Put the fixture into Apex mode - refer to the Zet Light manual for how to do that using the remote control
    3. Since you've already configured the VDM for 4-channel operation, you should already have 4 outlets named like BlueLED_#_2, WhiteLED_#_2, etc. These are for the ZetLight's Blue, White, Colors, and Moon channels respectively.
    4. Program the outlets as desired
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    The light also has to be put in Apex mode. I can't remember myself how to get it in that mode. When it is in that mode though, it will read "Ape" on the display.
    You need to press the in bottom more than once. Once you do it will say ape on the screen
    im in the process of setting mine up now and having loads of fun, it's called trial and error
    but getting ther

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by bescher View Post
    You need to press the in bottom more than once. Once you do it will say ape on the screen
    im in the process of setting mine up now and having loads of fun, it's called trial and error
    but getting ther
    Thank you RussM!
    good grief
    finally someone answered this question
    only took two years

Its like zetlight kind of wants you to use apex to control it so they kind of mysteriously made it possible. ridiculous.
    It should be harder to get the Apex seal of approval
    the daisy chain thing is also ridiculous. "we only want you to buy one light" --zetlight

New User
    Upgrading to a 180 and looking to add another set can they be daisy chained yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chevythang92 View Post
    Upgrading to a 180 and looking to add another set can they be daisy chained yet.

Not that I know of but I guess if you had multiple VDN’s

New User
    I have a zt6600 and a zt6500
    From what I read here they should work with apex, but on the zetlight website they indicate that only zt6600A and ZT6500A works with apex.
    Anyone was able to use ZT6600 with apex?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oneill98 View Post
    I have a zt6600 and a zt6500
    From what I read here they should work with apex, but on the zetlight website they indicate that only zt6600A and ZT6500A works with apex.
    Anyone was able to use ZT6600 with apex?
    Thanks
    Not to be a ass
    but I had a Zetlight 6500 and it worked with APEX
    does it have a 9 pin port

Only the Zetlight Q-Maven ZT6500-A and ZT6600-A models are certified as ApexReady. If the model number does not have the -A suffix, it is not Apex-compatible. There are warnings in red font to this effect on the 6500 and 6600 product pages on Zetlight’s web site.

However, any Q-Maven 65/66/6800 can supposedly be controlled by using a Zetlight A200 or A100 “Wi-Fi Switch” unit. I have no direct experience doing so though.

Bescher, the fixtures do not have a 9-pin “D” connector; the external control interface is a 1/8” TRS jack (mini stereo headphone). The connector on the VDM through which an ApexReady QMaven is controlled is a 9-pin jack; that may be what you were thinking of.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Only the Zetlight Q-Maven ZT6500-A and ZT6600-A models are certified as ApexReady. If the model number does not have the -A suffix, it is not Apex-compatible. There are warnings in red font to this effect on the 6500 and 6600 product pages on Zetlight’s web site.

However, any Q-Maven 65/66/6800 can supposedly be controlled by using a Zetlight A200 or A100 “Wi-Fi Switch” unit. I have no direct experience doing so though.

Bescher, the fixtures do not have a 9-pin “D” connector; the external control interface is a 1/8” TRS jack (mini stereo headphone). The connector on the VDM through which an ApexReady QMaven is controller is a 9-pin jack; that may be what you were thinking of.

Your right the nine pin goes into the vdm Oops

New User

Bescher, the fixtures do not have a 9-pin “D” connector; the external control interface is a 1/8” TRS jack (mini stereo headphone). The connector on the VDM through which an ApexReady QMaven is controlled is a 9-pin jack; that may be what you were thinking of.
    On the qmaven I have the mini stereo jack. So if I get a cable with minijack and 9 pin (I already found one) and an apex VDM I am able to control the qmaven from apex?

You immediately lied in your first post that you have the basic models, not the -A models. If that’s the case, as I’ve already written, no, you cannot directly control them with an Apex.

If you actually do have the -A models, buy the proper Neptune Systems cable. Pinouts are not published for DIY use. It’s called the Advanced Dimming Cable

SKU: AICABLE

Zetlight and the apex

Ack! Sorry about the iPhone automangling. The first line of my last post should be “You implied...”.

That was an embarrassing one. But kinda funny, so I left it unedited

New User
    Ack! Sorry about the iPhone automangling. The first line of my last post should be “You implied...”.

That was an embarrassing one. But kinda funny, so I left it unedited
    No problem

I do not have the -A model. I know that on the official page of zetlight they say that only -A version is supported for apex.
    But googling I have found that even the version without the A is supported. So I am confuesd.
    Anyone have tried to connect the non -A version to apex?

Besher: You say that you have ZT6500 connected to APEx and it works. It is the -A version?

Frequent Visitor
    A while ago they were offering upgrades to the Apex version for the lights. That's what I did with mine sent it in and they put in the Apex chip so it can be controlled. I don't know if they offer anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

New User

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by lsaint View Post
    A while ago they were offering upgrades to the Apex version for the lights. That's what I did with mine sent it in and they put in the Apex chip so it can be controlled. I don't know if they offer anymore.

I will ask for that too, but the problem is that I cannot leave the tank without light so it could be a problem send it back

Frequent Visitor
    True I luckily had a friend that had a spare is that light that I can use I would say maybe go get a cheap black box as a temporary light I think maybe it took two weeks. If you're part of a local Reef Club see if someone can loan you one

New User
    You may be able to order it it was simply to install.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12