Thread: Iphone.Ipad, Ipod for full time us ?

Frequent Visitor

Iphone.Ipad, Ipod for full time us ?

I would really like a display like my apex app all the time instead of looking for my Iphone or worse getting it wet. Plus a color screen would be so far beyond the 80's single tone screen of the display.

Anyone find a way to use a Ipod ? Never owned one but the cheapest . Or maybe grab an old Iphone or
    Ipad Mini and mound on my stand.

What exactly are you asking?

You can use the Apex app and/or Fusion on an iPod Touch, an old iPhone, etc. As long it has Wi-Fi, you're good to go.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    What exactly are you asking?

You can use the Apex app and/or Fusion on an iPod Touch, an old iPhone, etc. As long it has Wi-Fi, you're good to go.
    Any stumbling blocks ? do ipods work ? have wifi ? Will ipad charge through aqua bus ?

Classic iPods (the ones with the touch wheel) have no network connection, so cannot load and run apps or access web sites. IPod Touches (with a touch screen) do have WiFi, and could be mounted and used as a full-time display/control.

Aquabus is *not* USB, so no, you cannot charge any mobile device through AquaBus.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Classic iPods (the ones with the touch wheel) have no network connection, so cannot load and run apps or access web sites. IPod Touches (with a touch screen) do have WiFi, and could be mounted and used as a full-time display/control.

Aquabus is *not* USB, so no, you cannot charge any mobile device through AquaBus.

Do you know if the ipod 1 works ? Do all the ipod touches support the current IOS ? If I can get a cheap Ipod I really want to do this.

Wanna Be Control Freak RickHrdlicka's Avatar
    As long as it has a web browser and a wifi connection it should work.

Rick
    300g Mixed Reef with Full apex, PM1, ALD, AWM, AFS, PM2

So if aquabus is not USB how do u connect the iPhone etc to the apex and how do u keep it charged? Does it just connect through wifi only? So u still have to have a bridge etc for wifi connection?

You connect to your controller through your home network. Your controller can either be hardwired to your router or you can use a wifi gaming adapter to connect your controller to the wireless side of your router.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    I would like to do something similar and to use an iPhone 5.

So reading the thread I would need to create a bespoke Fusion layout that would fit reasonably on such a small screen, have the iPhone plugged in to a permanent power supply, have the browser open on the Fusion page for my system and then configure the phone so that the display stays permanently one,

anything else ?

You can use the APEX Fusion app instead of a browser window.

Otherwise, you have the bases covered.

Frequent Visitor
    You can use the APEX Fusion app instead of a browser window.

Otherwise, you have the bases covered.
    Oh yes good point about the app, now to inform No1 daughter I need her old phone, this is going to cost me....

Frequent Visitor
    OK so as the iPhone I used is a 4 then it the iOS can't be updated to v8 and as such it won't take the Fusion App but it still provides enough functionality, here it is installed.

IMG_4337 (1).jpg

IMG_4338 (1).jpg

IMG_4339.JPG

Regular Vistor
    How often does it refresh?

Frequent Visitor
    seems to be every minute

Frequent Visitor
    I'm using a cheap $50 7" Amazon Fire tablet. I've been testing this tablet on and off for a few months and just got around to mounting it today.

This is how the Apex display was mounted up until today before being moved to the shed..

The 7" Fire tablet mounted in the new surface mount where the Apex display used to be. I figured I would surface mount it rather than flush mount it for the moment. That will allow me to use the fire tablet daily to make sure I like it here before making permanent changes to my wall. The surface mount screwed right to the wall through the opening where the Apex display was flush mounted.

Key information shown on the display as well as quick access to my feed buttons. For the record, this is the native Silk browser in full screen. No need for Dolphin.

Here is the Apex display mounted in the shed giving me a quick view of the calcium reactor pH when I'm in there. The shed houses my RODI and Mixing Tank as well as my AWC, ATO Pump and calcium reactor and is plumbed into the house. As such, having a display in there is useful.

Frequent Visitor
    Yes nice display Installation there, well done. The screen size helps a lot with having more info on display as well, that' great.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by slief View Post
    I'm using a cheap $50 7" Amazon Fire tablet. I've been testing this tablet on and off for a few months and just got around to mounting it today.
    What mount are you using? The only ones I can find for the 7" are 2x the price of the tablet. Does yours allow the charging cable to be plugged in when it's in the mount?

Thanks!