Thread: problem with afs (feeder)

Frequent Visitor

problem with afs (feeder)

i came home last week to find the afs module stuck in the extended position and turned about half way. i tried cycling it on and off and it rotated once but didnt retract. it appears it stops before it gets a full turn and when it tries to retract it wont because the grooves on the shaft arent lined up. i tried cycling on and off a couple of times and it eventually rotated twice and was able to retract. But setting it back to auto produces the same result with the feeder stuck in the open position.. I gave it a good cleaning thinking there was some salt or something obstructing but that didnt help. I also noticed when it is extending it seems to be coming out at a super slow speed, slower than i remember. Just wondering if anyone has come across this, and what you did to correct. Beyond that Im pretty sure it is still under warranty as i have only had it maybe 6 months, if that. My schedule wasnt all that intense, only 2 feedings with 2 rotations per day.

Quote Originally Posted by dthomas View Post
    i came home last week to find the afs module stuck in the extended position and turned about half way. i tried cycling it on and off and it rotated once but didnt retract. it appears it stops before it gets a full turn and when it tries to retract it wont because the grooves on the shaft arent lined up. i tried cycling on and off a couple of times and it eventually rotated twice and was able to retract. But setting it back to auto produces the same result with the feeder stuck in the open position.. I gave it a good cleaning thinking there was some salt or something obstructing but that didnt help. I also noticed when it is extending it seems to be coming out at a super slow speed, slower than i remember. Just wondering if anyone has come across this, and what you did to correct. Beyond that Im pretty sure it is still under warranty as i have only had it maybe 6 months, if that. My schedule wasnt all that intense, only 2 feedings with 2 rotations per day.
    Especially since you're covered by the warranty, suggest you open a ticket with Support and get that process started. If someone here comes up with something in the meantime, great -- otherwise you have a headstart on getting your AFS repaired or replaced if need be.
    Bert

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    Especially since you're covered by the warranty, suggest you open a ticket with Support and get that process started. If someone here comes up with something in the meantime, great -- otherwise you have a headstart on getting your AFS repaired or replaced if need be.
    Thats what i figured. How do I open a ticket with Neptune. Or being as I live in Canada Im thinking I should contact my supplier in Montreal. Ive dealt with other warranty issues and they always seemed to deal with it. Not Neptune issues, but others.

Bert

Frequent Visitor
    thanks will get it started.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomas View Post
    What was the resolution to your problem?

I'm having a similar issue. Mine also fails to retract after feeds for a couple days now, only difference, mine spins about 5 times dumping tons of food with each activation.

As fate would have it, I'm headed out of town tomorrow.

I'd contact support. It should always retract, power or no power.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    What was the resolution to your problem?

I'm having a similar issue. Mine also fails to retract after feeds for a couple days now, only difference, mine spins about 5 times dumping tons of food with each activation.

As fate would have it, I'm headed out of town tomorrow.
    The problem with mine was a bad IC chip. I opened a ticket and then had to send it in for repair. It came back fairly quickly and the issue hasn't occurred since. All in all it took about 2 weeks but I sent it from Toronto Canada to California so that's not bad IMO

New User
    I had the same experience. It opened a ticket and sent it in. The chip had gone bad. .

Only difference, I was told it was do to water damage. This was not covered by the warranty and cost me $50.

My only issue is, I never got it wet. I'm afraid to put it back into my hood.

I have two computer type fans circulating the air in my hood that prevents any moisture build up. I have owned it less than 2 months and it feeds just two rotations once daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    My only issue is, I never got it wet. I'm afraid to put it back into my hood.
    Remember that fish like to jump and splash (particularly wrasses)

Wrass splash? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by mkeller088 View Post
    Wrass splash? Really?
    Unlikely, but support doesn't claim water damage for no reason. They only deny warranty if there is very solid evidence of water damage (like encrusted salt inside the unit). If the unit didn't take a dunk, heavy splashing from fish or powerheads is the only logical conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk