Thread: better to have both heaters cycle on/off or one stay on

Regular Vistor

better to have both heaters cycle on/off or one stay on

I have a 60g with 2 150w heaters. Now that its getting cold overnight my 1 heater basically stays on and keeps the temperature about steady overnight at 78.~. Is this a perfect scenario or is it better to have both heaters kick on at the same temperature and let them both cycle on and off? Does it matter for the longevity of the heater itself?

Heater 1
    Fallback ON
    If Temp < 78.2 Then ON
    If Temp > 79.0 Then OFF
    If Temp < 68.0 Then OFF

Heater 2
    Fallback OFF
    If Temp < 78.1 Then ON
    If Temp > 79.0 Then OFF
    If Temp < 68.0 Then OFF

I have 2 heater in my tank , they alternate with a 4 hours schedule . Also i have a 'high heat " outlet to turn on both if the tank temp is not raising fast enough . Its cold here in the winter !!

Alain

Capture.PNGCapture 1.PNGCapture 2.PNG

Frequent Visitor
    i got 2 heaters and have plugged into same spot on energy bar,is that not a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by budman View Post
    i got 2 heaters and have plugged into same spot on energy bar,is that not a good idea
    You can do what you have done as long as you're not exceeding the ratings on that outlet (and overall EB and circuit) when both heaters are on.

Other than that, IMHO, it all comes down to one's philosophy what you want to do. There are many opinions. Some people are more fancy than others as you can see from just Alain's sample here, and you'll find many other setups in other threads with a few searches. Me, well, I live in fairly temperate climate, I've not yet convinced myself of a need for seasonal temp variation, but have two heaters in my sump each with their own thermostat set 1 degree higher than my target, and important to my "disaster recovery" design -- each plugged into a separate outlet on a different EB that is each on a separate circuit and GFCI. My Apex turns both heaters on/off as a pair based on temp in my DT, but should my controller hang they'll both be on during Fallback using their own thermostats; or if one of my EBs or circuits click off, the other heater is sized to keep the tank within an acceptable range while I'm resolving the electrical issue -- after of course I've been notified by my Apex (or Reeftronics) that something has gone wrong.
    Bert

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for that info and taking time to reply all that.Also,Do i need it plugged into the #4 or 8 spot on my EB?
    Right now its been plugged into #1 for the past couple months

You're probably fine. To my point above, EB8 outlets 1-3,5-7 are a max of 5A and 4,8 are 10A. The triac outlet you're using is also quieter should you be having your Apex turn it on and off more often.
    Bert

Frequent Visitor
    Alain600

- - - Updated - - -

Alain600

in your programing what is RT?

The RT+ command is use when you want to use the season table for temperature control instead of a fixed temperature setting .

Alain

Frequent Visitor
    I am new to APEX Programing so I am learning. I have a couple questions. What turns HEATER_A and HEATER_B on and off? there are only On statements based on Temp except for the statement meant to ensure the probe is working. Also I don't quite understand the RT+-0.1

If the temp for the day is 77, the statement "If Temp < RT+0.0 Then ON" would turn on the pump on at 76.9?

If the temp for the day is 77, the statement "If Temp < RT+-0.1 Then ON would turn on the pump on at 76.8?

I want my QT tank to be the same temp as my Display. Will this program work?

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If QT_TMP < RT+0.0 Then ON
    If Temp > RT+-0.1 Then OFF
    If QT_TMP < 70.0 Then OFF
    If Outlet QT_Pump_1 = OFF Then OFF

The goal in my programming is to maintain the water temperature as close as possible to the reference temperature ( RT+ ) who is set by the season table , and if this temperature drop too fast or too suddenly to enable the second heater to help the first one raise the temperature to the RT+ level .

The " Set OFF " set the primary state of the outlet .
    If " Temp probe " < RT+0.0 Then ON : will turn ON the outlet as soon as temperature drop .1 from the RT+ level and turn it OFF when RT+ is reach .
    If " Temp probe " < RT+-0.1 Then ON : will turn ON the second heater if the temperature drop .02 from the RT+ level and turn it OFF when RT+ minus .01 is reach .

In your case and if you dont have a heater native thermostat use :

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If " Temp probe " < RT+0.0 Then ON

All other statement shall be added at the end .

Alain

Frequent Visitor
    Ahh!!! So you actually do not need to tell it to turn off because it will do so when you are back to RT+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly !

Alain