Thread: AFS question

New User

AFS question

I am looking to buy the AFS unit. I noticed that the unit has a mini power port next to the 2 aquabus ports. Can this port be used to power the device??

I will be buying the full Apex In a few months, but wanted to get the AFS unit now to use. Is it possible to run the AFS via a digital timer and that other power port?

thanks in advance

Power to the AFS is only via the standard aquabus cable. The "mini power port" you see is not used in Neptune's implementation of the device. No, you can't run the AFS off anything other than an Apex -- the logic to trigger it is only via aquabus and your Apex controller.
    Bert

Frequent Contributor
    Slight correction BertL. The auxiliary power connection can and should be used in configurations where the AFS is connected onto a long string of Apex modules. In these situations, the aggregate current draw is too high and a supplemental power supply is required.

The AFS requires an Apex to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    ...The auxiliary power connection can and should be used in configurations where the AFS is connected onto a long string of Apex modules. In these situations, the aggregate current draw is too high and a supplemental power supply is required.
    Appreciate the clarification. That's news I've not seen anywhere before. May be a good thing to specify voltage and conditions where it's necessary, and document in both the AFS Manual and perhaps CRM in their next updates.
    Bert

Terence, please "sanity check" my understanding of Aquabus power. I suspect that the scenario you described about a long string of Aquabus modules would a) be relatively uncommon, and b) would apply to a long string of modules other than EnergyBars.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Slight correction BertL. The auxiliary power connection can and should be used in configurations where the AFS is connected onto a long string of Apex modules. In these situations, the aggregate current draw is too high and a supplemental power supply is required.

The AFS requires an Apex to operate.

How long this string of modules need to be ?

Alain

Frequent Contributor
    There are really too many variables to make a blanket statement. In nearly all circumstances the user will not have the need. A couple of modules and then the AFS will not be a problem. However, just to cover all bases we included it for the fringe cases. If, for instance, someone strung an aquabus cable to another room and had two PM1 and a EB8 and an AFS it would not be an issue either because the EB powers the aquabus.