Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: battery back up

It's not pure sine, but the waveforms I could find show it being pure sine wave under normal operation and 6 pulse step when on battery so that shouldn't be an issue. It's really just the 6 pulse all the time ones you need to avoid.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok. I’m gonna wire it like in Russ link he provided. And only run a core and 2 power heads. That will give me plenty of time to get back home to get the generator.
    Maybe even 1 more thing with the exspansion

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The issue with using a marine battery is that you need to keep it charged manually, and they are relatively bulky. You can use a small but quality UPS and a 12v adapter. Or pick up a Belkin BU3DC001-12V on ebay - it will plug right into the Apex - they are compact, and the easiest and least expensive solution.
    Be careful with the BU3DC001 option. I really like how these are plug and play and don't have the efficiency losses of a a standard UPS used with and AC/DC transformer but have had two of them fail on me and output voltages greater than 12V.

Frequent Visitor
    hey zombie. 2 questions
    why arent ups made with lithium ion batteries yet?
    and 2 what can i do with these? fish related or not? maybe a fan? if not then im just gonna sell or donate them
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UPSs are available with lithium ion batteries, but the cost is much higher.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

What Russ said is part of the reason. The other main reason is actually discharge capacity. Lead Acids excel in being able to deliver a lot of power over a short timespan within the same form factor, which is why they are often referred to as deep cycle (at significantly reduced price for the same form factor). Lithium excels in slow discharges and in doing a bunch of discharge cycles without damaging the battery or getting the memory effect. The strength of each is the weakness of the other. For the typical application of a UPS (computers) lead acids are preferred even at the same overall capacity and even if the lithiums weren't more expensive. For the use intended in Fish tanks, the lithiums do have a slight advantage, but once you factor in the cost, you can get a lead acid version with an expansion battery for cheaper and get better backup time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
    hey zombie. 2 questions
    why arent ups made with lithium ion batteries yet?
    and 2 what can i do with these? fish related or not? maybe a fan? if not then im just gonna sell or donate them
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have UPS all over my house. One on my PC, one on my fish tank, one for my gaming consoles, and one for my router.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I have UPS all over my house. One on my PC, one on my fish tank, one for my gaming consoles, and one for my router.

I know that lol. But this one isn’t sine wave tho

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
    I know that lol. But this one isn’t sine wave tho
    I have the 1500VA version of that exact model on my gaming PC and my tank. It generates quite a bit of harmonics when on battery, but is pure sine wave when the wall has power. Haven't had a problem yet in 3 years but I only have DC devices connected to it on battery. I would have preferred the APC pro, but it was more expensive than I wanted to spend and had to be ordered vs picked up locally at best buy.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I have the 1500VA version of that exact model on my gaming PC and my tank. It generates quite a bit of harmonics when on battery, but is pure sine wave when the wall has power. Haven't had a problem yet in 3 years but I only have DC devices connected to it on battery. I would have preferred the APC pro, but it was more expensive than I wanted to spend and had to be ordered vs picked up locally at best buy.

This is something I need to do and not an electrical engineer. Amazon has this one in stock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779LDRWZ...ter_B07HHQBYMM and not the one you posted earlier. Any issues going with the one I linked to?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    This is something I need to do and not an electrical engineer. Amazon has this one in stock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779LDRWZ...ter_B07HHQBYMM and not the one you posted earlier. Any issues going with the one I linked to?
    That one is sine wave output so it wont have harmonics issues with AC motors. Runtime looks reasonable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Confused: I recently had a power failure that lasted for 4 hours.
    I was reading through the threads here and understand how the hookups should be.
    Spoke to Neptune and was told i need the 12v power supply to the base unit, so i ordered one.
    I do not understand what kind or type of UPS that I should put in place.
    Can you please tell me the UPS product that I should purchase that will give me the longest
    run time. At least I would like to run 4-6 hours.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyR View Post
    Confused: I recently had a power failure that lasted for 4 hours.
    I was reading through the threads here and understand how the hookups should be.
    Spoke to Neptune and was told i need the 12v power supply to the base unit, so i ordered one.
    I do not understand what kind or type of UPS that I should put in place.
    Can you please tell me the UPS product that I should purchase that will give me the longest
    run time. At least I would like to run 4-6 hours.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Need a whole lot more info to recommend anything

Budget?

Normal tank watts and amps when everything is on?

What do you want to run during an outage?

New User
    My budget let’s say up to 400 Or less. Been reading that the return pump and power head should go on and off. I think that should be the only equipment that should run. If you think that others should run please let me know.
    157 Watts 2 Amps 120 Volts

My budget let’s say up to 400 Or less. Been reading that the return pump and power head should go on and off. I think that should be the only equipment that should run. If you think that others should run please let me know.
    157 Watts 2 Amps 120 Volts
    The one in post 85 would be good for 8-12 hours if you don't run the return pump. If you want to run that, you would need to get the extended battery for it to get at least 4 hours.

New User
    Sorry to be a pain. Is this the one you are talking about?
    I also want to run my return pump on and off.
    Which extended battery do i need?

Frequent Visitor
    A lot of us use APC brand like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/APC-Battery-Pr...3&tag=h0a61-20

basically the higher the number the better, these ups have a plug. You can buy this and plug it in.

https://www.amazon.ca/Back-UPS-Exter...h0a61-20&psc=1

if you buy anything used expect to replace the battery’s

New User
    If I understand this, one is the main UPS and the other is the extended battery. How do the hookup together?

If I understand this, one is the main UPS and the other is the extended battery. How do the hookup together?
    There is a special plug in the back that the extended battery plugs into.

New User
    Thank you Zombie for all of your help.

Regular Vistor
    Hello, I have question about battery backup. I only want to back up the probes and the flow sensor in main pump when 230V turn off. I do not know how to do it. Anyone have any idea please? here is the diagram. I'm out of programming Thank youApex UPS backup.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jk24 View Post
    Hello, I have question about battery backup. I only want to back up the probes and the flow sensor in main pump when 230V turn off. I do not know how to do it. Anyone have any idea please? here is the diagram. I'm out of programming Thank youApex UPS backup.jpg
    In that configuration the only thing you can do is an alert. Use this format

If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON
    If Power EB6name Off 000 Then ON

Regular Vistor
    Thank you for answer. I don't get it completely sorry. what are the numbers 001 and 000?

Quote Originally Posted by Jk24 View Post
    Thank you for answer. I don't get it completely sorry. what are the numbers 001 and 000?
    The apex 001 detects when the apex reboots

The EB6 000 detects when power is currently off to the EB6.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you. I will test it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234