Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: battery back up

Regular Vistor
    Where would I do my research? Does neptune publish these specifications?

Quote Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
    Where would I do my research? Does neptune publish these specifications?
    Neptune does not post these specs. You would need to look at acceptable specs for computer motherboards, microprocessors, PLCs, etc. to see what kind of ranges are acceptable with a given component price point and then regress the information to see what you would expect the apex to fit plus a factor of safety. The research is not trivial or easy to find.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Will the supplemental 12V power port even power the base unit or is it just for monitoring line voltage when the EB8 is connected to a UPS?

Will the supplemental 12V power port even power the base unit or is it just for monitoring line voltage when the EB8 is connected to a UPS?
    It does both.

Regular Vistor
    Neptune support reported that 14.2 volt float voltage is too high.

I’m going to try this device and I will report back with either smoke or sucsess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neptune support reported that 14.2 volt float voltage is too high.

I’m going to try this device and I will report back with either smoke or sucsess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    While I can't speak for Neptune engineering directly, I would assume you conservatively need to maintain utility side specifications of +- 10% of nominal 12V since that is the minimum a wall supply must meet. It's possible those bounds are higher, but you would want confirmation from neptune.

Regular Vistor
    Have you ever measured a 12V wall wart? They are all over the map. Could be 11V could be 15V but usually under 13V with just a few ma of load. I’ll set it to 12V and verify output with a fluke DMM. I would probably be fine @ the float voltage but this thing is cheep and it’s n abundance of caution.

Another plus is that it has a USB power port so now I can ditch the wall wart for my WiFi adapter and have my WiFi adapter on battery as is my router and modem. Win-Win-Win.

Regular Vistor
    Warning!!

So, the USB port on that converter is not 5V. It’s whatever output you have the thing adjusted to. If you have it set much above 6-7 volts it will smoke your cellphone or whatever you connect to it. I see nowhere in the standard Engrish documentation where the USB plug is specified at 5V or system voltage. It just doesn’t say so I checked with my DMM

Everything else is great! Powers the Apex nicely and my circulation pump keeps running. The LED strip lights look great under the stand and makes doing things down there a lot easier

B5A66A02-C4DD-4EDF-92EF-1F597532681B.jpeg

Warning!!

So, the USB port on that converter is not 5V. It’s whatever output you have the thing adjusted to. If you have it set much above 6-7 volts it will smoke your cellphone or whatever you connect to it. I see nowhere in the standard Engrish documentation where the USB plug is specified at 5V or system voltage. It just doesn’t say so I checked with my DMM

Everything else is great! Powers the Apex nicely and my circulation pump keeps running. The LED strip lights look great under the stand and makes doing things down there a lot easier

B5A66A02-C4DD-4EDF-92EF-1F597532681B.jpeg
    Aquabus is 12V. What the guy was referring to was using a 12V battery backup but it is questionable what a safe trickle charge voltage is because the specs aren't published.

Have you ever measured a 12V wall wart? They are all over the map. Could be 11V could be 15V but usually under 13V with just a few ma of load. I’ll set it to 12V and verify output with a fluke DMM. I would probably be fine @ the float voltage but this thing is cheep and it’s n abundance of caution.

Another plus is that it has a USB power port so now I can ditch the wall wart for my WiFi adapter and have my WiFi adapter on battery as is my router and modem. Win-Win-Win.
    I was referring to the wall not the DC output.

Frequent Visitor
    I just got this how exactly did you set it up?
    I also have a eco tech back up to power 2 mp10s
    What do you power with this? Can you tell the apex to power a core on the lowest setting and 1 heater?
    I live in Southern California so actually a heater wouldn’t be used much demand

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
    I just got this how exactly did you set it up?
    I also have a eco tech back up to power 2 mp10s
    What do you power with this? Can you tell the apex to power a core on the lowest setting and 1 heater?
    I live in Southern California so actually a heater wouldn’t be used much demand
    Use a UPS. It will save you a major headache and make sure your router and modem are on one too so you can receive alerts. Don't bother with the heater. Even if you don't expect it to be on that much, a 200W heater will exhaust a consumer grade UPS in less than 30 minutes.

Here is a set up example an how two presentation.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...n-at-MACNA2013

Frequent Visitor
    alright so i have 3 1000 ups coming 1 for my internet and 1 each for my 2 eb8s. given the size this is all that i can fit in my apex cabinet. so have basically 2000va what systems is recommended for 8 hrs run time. "note i also have the eco tech back up for my power heads so power wont be needed there" unless their is a way to detect no power to the power heads? then i can turn them on
    i figured i can turn the return pump onto its minimal setting "cor20"
    heater?
    skimmer?
    my ato is controlled via 1/4 inch solenoid valve and optical sensors so i think this is a must as well. also my ro station has its own fmm module it will need power as well... shoot its 35 feet away. maybe i will just tell it normally open incase of a power outage. its only there incase of a leak detection and it will shut off water from the house

i live in socal really the only time we get a power outage is during summer or someone crashes into a power pole. takes them about 8 hrs to fix

oh and is there a way to hook up a expansion battery to the ups? just a thought. im getting the cyber power ones

Skimmer isn't necessary and will reduce backup time quite a bit if it isn't a really low wattage. Heaters should not be run on backup.

Frequent Visitor
    ok. skimmer is a core 15. i read that it would be good to help gas exchange. i will keep the heater off. i can always manually turn it on if temp drops to low

ok. skimmer is a core 15. i read that it would be good to help gas exchange. i will keep the heater off. i can always manually turn it on if temp drops to low
    If it's controllable, running at a low intensity will help gas exchange without hurting runtime too much.

There is an alternative if the pump is not controllable. Assuming you have a way to detect loss of power (aux power supply or eb8 not on UPS) you can do the following:

SKIMMER

Fallback ON
    OSC 000:00/005:00/025:00 Then ON
    If Power EBx 000 ON Then ON

So the 'default' behavior would be to operate the pump for 5 minutes out of every 30 minutes. However, as long as power from mains is available, it will override and run the outlet as constant ON. Any other override conditions such as Feed can be included at the end.

Frequent Visitor
    after reading this thread a second time. are you guys saying that a ups wont be able to handle a switch over in an event of a power outage. even if the coding is right and only running minimal equipment?

also my dad has a bright idea of changing my single circuit in my house to a double circuit. since we only have 1 12v port from the apex to sense power outage i will only be able to detect 1 circuit if it went out and not 2. i fear that the other will just be left on.
    i had it figured out for one circuit but not 2
    i have 2 eb8 and 2 ups "one for each eb8"

Frequent Visitor
    i accidentally bought the one with out the Sine Wave Waveform - Active PFC Compatibility. im not that tech savvy. but im technical and picky in my equipment. is there a difference i need to worry about? wondering if i should exchange them or not

i accidentally bought the one with out the Sine Wave Waveform - Active PFC Compatibility. im not that tech savvy. but im technical and picky in my equipment. is there a difference i need to worry about? wondering if i should exchange them or not
    If it's not a pure sine wave one, I would at bare minimum only use a 12 pulse or higher. If it's a 6 pulse, you can burn up many pumps and sensitive electronics from the high third harmonic heating and could also damage the apex itself from too much harmonic distortion.

Frequent Visitor
    if its a pure sine wave im ok?

if its a pure sine wave im ok?
    Yep.

are you guys saying that a ups wont be able to handle a switch over in an event of a power outage. even if the coding is right and only running minimal equipment?
    no, i have two Eb8s. One is on the UPS and the other in on mains. I use the one on mains to detect when power is lost. Since the UPS takes over instantaneously, as far as the Apex can tell, it never lost power. Once mains power is lost, the If Power (Mains)... ON statement becomes false and is ignored. Therefore, the OSC command prevails and controls the outlet in a way that will maximize battery life.

Frequent Visitor
    just to be clear. the blue wire is a aquabuss cable?
    im gonna have to go the the ultimate. unless i really should just use 1 circuit?
    question tho. curcuit A has the sensor for a power outage. but what about circuit B? it has no sensor and im planning on using a ups on each eb8 "2" so both eb8 will be on different circuts
    Slides from Apex Power Monitoring and Management presentation.pdf

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    no, i have two Eb8s. One is on the UPS and the other in on mains. I use the one on mains to detect when power is lost. Since the UPS takes over instantaneously, as far as the Apex can tell, it never lost power. Once mains power is lost, the If Power (Mains)... ON statement becomes false and is ignored. Therefore, the OSC command prevails and controls the outlet in a way that will maximize battery life.
    what do you have as critical and non critical.
    im really hoping to use 1 ups per eb8 "2" so i can double the battery

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast