Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: battery back up

It's not pure sine, but the waveforms I could find show it being pure sine wave under normal operation and 6 pulse step when on battery so that shouldn't be an issue. It's really just the 6 pulse all the time ones you need to avoid.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok. I’m gonna wire it like in Russ link he provided. And only run a core and 2 power heads. That will give me plenty of time to get back home to get the generator.
    Maybe even 1 more thing with the exspansion

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The issue with using a marine battery is that you need to keep it charged manually, and they are relatively bulky. You can use a small but quality UPS and a 12v adapter. Or pick up a Belkin BU3DC001-12V on ebay - it will plug right into the Apex - they are compact, and the easiest and least expensive solution.
    Be careful with the BU3DC001 option. I really like how these are plug and play and don't have the efficiency losses of a a standard UPS used with and AC/DC transformer but have had two of them fail on me and output voltages greater than 12V.

Frequent Visitor
    hey zombie. 2 questions
    why arent ups made with lithium ion batteries yet?
    and 2 what can i do with these? fish related or not? maybe a fan? if not then im just gonna sell or donate them
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UPSs are available with lithium ion batteries, but the cost is much higher.
    I'm not a Neptune support rep. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

What Russ said is part of the reason. The other main reason is actually discharge capacity. Lead Acids excel in being able to deliver a lot of power over a short timespan within the same form factor, which is why they are often referred to as deep cycle (at significantly reduced price for the same form factor). Lithium excels in slow discharges and in doing a bunch of discharge cycles without damaging the battery or getting the memory effect. The strength of each is the weakness of the other. For the typical application of a UPS (computers) lead acids are preferred even at the same overall capacity and even if the lithiums weren't more expensive. For the use intended in Fish tanks, the lithiums do have a slight advantage, but once you factor in the cost, you can get a lead acid version with an expansion battery for cheaper and get better backup time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
    hey zombie. 2 questions
    why arent ups made with lithium ion batteries yet?
    and 2 what can i do with these? fish related or not? maybe a fan? if not then im just gonna sell or donate them
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have UPS all over my house. One on my PC, one on my fish tank, one for my gaming consoles, and one for my router.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I have UPS all over my house. One on my PC, one on my fish tank, one for my gaming consoles, and one for my router.

I know that lol. But this one isn’t sine wave tho

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
    I know that lol. But this one isn’t sine wave tho
    I have the 1500VA version of that exact model on my gaming PC and my tank. It generates quite a bit of harmonics when on battery, but is pure sine wave when the wall has power. Haven't had a problem yet in 3 years but I only have DC devices connected to it on battery. I would have preferred the APC pro, but it was more expensive than I wanted to spend and had to be ordered vs picked up locally at best buy.