Thread: Plans for larger DOS?

New User

Plans for larger DOS?

I'm wondering if there are plans to release a 3 or 4 pump (or larger) DOS module. Every other pump on the market that I know of has at least three or four pumps, and most people dose more than calcium and alkalinity. I understand the utility of a 2-pump unit for automated water changes, but really, most people would like more than two pumps. And before you say "just buy two", consider that the cost of two would be significantly higher than other options. So, is this in the works?

I can tell you it wont be coming any time soon if at all. Neptune did a lot of market research, and determined that it was in their best interest to sell 2 head pumps in the 300-400 price point rather than a 4 head pump in the 600-700 dollar price point since the vast majority of users would use this for 2 part or AWC applications. Its really hard for somebody to justify spending 600+ dollars for a 4 head pump when they only need 2, but is easier to justify buying 2 dos units versus the competition because the motors are unparallelled in the industry. Quality stepper motors are not cheap.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

New User
    Fair enough, but it should be cheaper to put 4 motors into one module than do two separate modules, so there would be some cost savings there. GHL seems to be able to do it for a little over $500 retail

Frequent Contributor
    Zombie has pretty much summarized our position. And, if you want to compare dosing pumps, I would take a closer look at the pump head and tubing portion of the GHL pumps. Yes, they are now stepper motor driven (albeit with a smaller stepper motor) but the pump head is no where near as high of quality and the design still relies on friction to couple the motor to the pump wheels. The DOS also can pump up to at least 4x the rate as well.

New User
    The other potential issue I would have is running an apex jr. Does each unit count toward the 5 module max? Would using the 1link change this at all? And so far I'm running well without the display just using fusion, does this mean I truly have 5 available modules?

As far as im aware, the 1 link with 2 dos counts as one module, but 2 dos without it would count as 2 modules. Not 100% certain though.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

New User
    From what I've read, I could connect three DOS's to the 1link; you're saying this would count as 'one' module toward my max of 5? Still haven't been able to find a definitive answer that I can run 5 modules if I disconnect the display...

Quote Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
    From what I've read, I could connect three DOS's to the 1link; you're saying this would count as 'one' module toward my max of 5? Still haven't been able to find a definitive answer that I can run 5 modules if I disconnect the display...
    We don't know. There's not much info publicly available about the 1Link.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
    At this point, with the current implementation, the 1link is one module and then every device attached to it would be one as well. Due to this fact we will be reevaluating the max number of modules limitation on the Apex Jr. To see if we can tweak some things to make more modules possible.

New User
    How many more modules are we talking?

Frequent Contributor

Plans for larger DOS?

We don't even know if it is possible. That is why we are going to reevaluate and see.

New User
    You will make a lot of people happy if you can raise it up to ten or so thanks Terence