Thread: Assistance appreciated with Apex update please

New User

Assistance appreciated with Apex update please

Set up my Apex about 3 weeks ago. Updated (while hard wired connected to router) with the latest firmware. Then set up for web access and wireless connected - all with no issues.

Thursday I came home to find the display blank (other than the back light working) - the EB8 status light is blinking orange and the controller status light is not lit at all. No longer able to access the controller via web interface.

I was told by Neptune that I need to update my firmware to fix this issue as they have just released a new version.

I am unable to do so as the PC cannot find the controller itself to update it - and my display is blank so unable to do anything on that end.

I have power cycled the unit to no avail

Any help would be appreciated - thanks

When you power cycle the controller, the status light blinks yellow, then goes off or what happens to it?

If it's as I described where the controller seems to reboot, but never goes to solid green, try disconnecting your ethernet cable from the controller, then drop power and then reapply power to get the controller to reboot. Once it goes to solid green AND then when your programming is executing, and only then, plug the ethernet cable in. That's how I presently have to reboot my controller while I'm working with support.
    Bert

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    When you power cycle the controller, the status light blinks yellow, then goes off or what happens to it?

If it's as I described where the controller seems to reboot, but never goes to solid green, try disconnecting your ethernet cable from the controller, then drop power and then reapply power to get the controller to reboot. Once it goes to solid green AND then when your programming is executing, and only then, plug the ethernet cable in. That's how I presently have to reboot my controller while I'm working with support.
    Power cycle does not change anything. The status light on the EB8 goes off then comes back on blinking yellow. The status light on the controller remains unchanged - no light comes on.

Just now I did as you suggested. Disconnected Ethernet cable, power cycled - all remain as before

Also - I have tried using different power outlets, plugging the controller in using a 12v supply, trying different Aquabus ports - all results remain the same

If your controller never gets a light that comes on, it's got a more severe problem. Are there any lights on the controller at all? Can you try another aquabus cable to provide it power and also try another port on both ends of that cable where it connects to your controller and EB8.
    Bert

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    If your controller never gets a light that comes on, it's got a more severe problem. Are there any lights on the controller at all? Can you try another aquabus cable to provide it power and also try another port on both ends of that cable where it connects to your controller and EB8.
    I have tried different cables - all the same.

The Ethernet port lights up and the display has back light so I assume the controller has power. Status light has been off this entire time (or possibly since Thursday)

When this happened Thursday - the controller display did come back up that night after an hour or so. Just came back up out of the blue - I heard the controller click and went to look - sure enough, display back up. Not sure how that happened as I had given up working on the issue by then. I did not note if the status light on the controller came back up at that time or not.

I was able to check status that evening and Fusion noted the unit had dropped offline over 60 times that day. I opened a ticket with Neptune at that time and they noted I needed to update the firmware.

Today is the first time I have had a chance to mess with it. This morning when I went to install the firmware update - the display showed information but was frozen. Time/date stuck at 12/19 4:03 am. At that time I power cycled it - the display info never came back.

That is when I noted the firmware update could not locate the Apex itself and after much trouble shooting - I found this forum during my research for the same issue experienced by others.

I have updated the ticket with Neptune regarding today's issues but wanted to reach out here in case anyone had a resolution or had experienced the same issue.

Likely I will be sending the unit in for service you think.....?

Seems to me like if the Browse and/or Apex Update Utility can't find your Apex, there is some basic networking problem going on... Your controller has power, and with your EB changing state upon the reboot, some communication is happening, but we need your boot loader to get going. I don't know how to kick it in the @#$( more than you've tried, but there are a couple Mods that frequent these threads, so maybe they have another idea.

I bet you'll be sending it in -- if you do, be sure to ask about options for faster turnaround, e.g. Neptune has a way for you to buy a new controller from them, they charge your card, send you the new one, and when they get your old one, they credit you the purchase price you paid them -- costs you shipping, but saves a few days in turnaround if that would be helpful.

Only other thing I can think of to try, and it's a long shot, is try connecting your controller directly to your PC and performing the update that way ... that would rule out your whole home network. Instructions how to do that is in THIS STICKY.
    Bert

New User
    Just wanted to follow up - sent into Neptune and they replaced an ic on the base unit for $50.00

Base back and online now with no issues

Thanks to all for your help

Quote Originally Posted by acharpenter View Post
    Just wanted to follow up - sent into Neptune and they replaced an ic on the base unit for $50.00

Base back and online now with no issues

Thanks to all for your help
    Glad its working again, and thanks for the FUP. We don't always get them, and a conclusion sure makes these threads a lot more valuable to everyone.
    Bert

New User
    I am having some issues as well. I know acharpenter, I think this is contagious. My tank is still in the build stages so, it's not as much of an emergency. Today I found the display is blank, not even back-lit. The controller looks like it is booting up and the light goes solid green on the controller but, all the modules stay flashing yellow forever. I followed all the advise above and have no different results. The LAN status lights stay on solid when the network cable is plugged in and it doesn't appear like its talking to the router. I can't find the Apex listed in my router anymore, either. I tried the Apex update utility and it ,also,can't find the controller. To give you some background.....this controller had an issue with phantom temperature spikes in the data logging, it was sent in for repair. An IC was replaced and it has been OK since except for the original display failed and I replaced that. From my understanding the Controller "usually" gets its power from one of the EB's.......could an EB not having a clean internal power supply cause all these woes or ? With my current issue, would the modules still not communicate with the controller even if there was no internet connected? And wouldn't the display still light up and work if the controller was working correctly? I am getting a gut feeling I will be visiting a UPS store again to send this off.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasman Bob View Post
    I am having some issues as well. I know acharpenter, I think this is contagious. My tank is still in the build stages so, it's not as much of an emergency. Today I found the display is blank, not even back-lit. The controller looks like it is booting up and the light goes solid green on the controller but, all the modules stay flashing yellow forever. I followed all the advise above and have no different results. The LAN status lights stay on solid when the network cable is plugged in and it doesn't appear like its talking to the router. I can't find the Apex listed in my router anymore, either. I tried the Apex update utility and it ,also,can't find the controller. To give you some background.....this controller had an issue with phantom temperature spikes in the data logging, it was sent in for repair. An IC was replaced and it has been OK since except for the original display failed and I replaced that. From my understanding the Controller "usually" gets its power from one of the EB's.......could an EB not having a clean internal power supply cause all these woes or ? With my current issue, would the modules still not communicate with the controller even if there was no internet connected? And wouldn't the display still light up and work if the controller was working correctly? I am getting a gut feeling I will be visiting a UPS store again to send this off.
    Sadly someone else in our reef club as been dealing with issues similar to these and now Gasman as well.

Thoughts community??? When Gasman started having similar issues today I directed him to this thread for troubleshooting measures and thus far none have worked.

I do want to note - this all started happening with his controller even though he never even attempted a firmware update......

Bump for help - this is becoming a reoccurring theme

Assistance appreciated with Apex update please

Gasman, disconnect the display from wherever it is plugged in. Leave it set aside for the moment. Then disconnect and reconnect the Aquabus cable(s) from the Apex base. Does the Apex boot up and the status lights EBs and any other module go solid green after a minute?

Repeat a similar process - the intent is to see if any one module is causing the system to not operate properly.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.