Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DOS for water changes problem

Frequent Visitor

DOS for water changes problem

Mainly tubing. I have run 1/4" RO/DI tubing through the attic

There is a leak at the push connect fitting. I realize that it is best to use the flexible tubing sent with the DOS but I got 16 feet and I need closer to 150'.

Right now the push connect fitting is giving me trouble at the Neptune tubing. So is it possible to use only RO/DI line?

DOS for water changes problem

That softer tubing which came with the DOS won't work well with John Guest fittings, as you've discovered. Use a double barb fitting instead. Or you can try the polyethylene tubing connected directly to the DOS.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Okay. Going with just the polyethylene tubing from BRS. I'll report back with the findings.

Frequent Visitor
    So far the BRS tubing seems to be working, but the connection at the DOS could be better.

Frequent Visitor
    I did the same exact thing you did and the tubing that came with the DOS leaks if connected to the 1/4 push fitting. I was afraid of connecting the 1/4 RODI tubing directly to the DOS, but it works great. I used a heated blow dryer to heat up the RODI tubing end before I worked it onto the DOS nipple. The heat really helps.

Frequent Visitor
    Loki, it appears you may have a similar setup like I'm planning. I would love to see more pics and details of your setup.

I want to run the tubes into my wall up into my attic and back down to my water station in my garage (approx 60') where I have my containers for the waste water and fresh SW. I was also thinking that I would like to locate the DOS system itself in my garage as well to eliminate any concern with noise the system makes in my living room where the tank is. Can the system be connected to my APEX that far away?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakelivin View Post
    Can the system be connected to my APEX that far away?
    Yes. You can get long cables made for Apex Aquabus in 50, 75, and 100' lengths here: http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-apex-xxg.html
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Oh my! I had no idea you could get long aquabus! That may be the best option for me. Run the cable through the attic to the garage and mount the DŌS there.

Lakeliving, there isn't much to take a picture of other than what's posted above. The rest is in the walls or attic except for where it comes out next to my water mixing station.

I have the OSW ending at the same place my waste water for the RO/DI goes. Down the drain next to the washer and dryer.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the replies... Loki, what is the distance you are running your tubes? Based on what I have been reading the distance I need to go appears to be within the systems parameters but wanted to make sure.

I have two 30 gallon barrels in my garage where I make my RO/DI water. One is used to mix fresh salt water and the other is used to hold the fresh RO/DI water. Still undecided what to do with the waste water line because I don't have a sink/drain in the garage but I will figure that out. I considered using my laundry room but the better half was not thrilled with that idea so I set it up in the garage where there is more room for my containers and no worries about spillage or mess.

What are you using to hold your new salt water and are you using a small pump to constantly stir the water? I have a 130 gallon tank (including sump). Any suggestions on how many gallons I should program the system to change per day?

I have a Red Sea Max 500S tank with an auto top off system built-in with a float valve setup. Does the DOS system remove and add the exact same amount of water simultaneously? I believe I read that it does but I want to ensure I maintain a constant water level in my sump.

I apologize if I'm hijacking your thread a bit but I wanted to seek your opinion seeing that you appear to have the same setup that I'm planing to use.

Frequent Visitor
    I am running 75 feet of tubing over a distance of about 50-60ft

DŌS mounted and next to the tank.

Mixing station. Red is OSW and blue is NSW

Laundry room going into the garage. One tube is for my RO/DI going out to my mixing station and the other is the DŌS coming back in.

Frequent Visitor
    I have a maxi jet in my 55g drum to mix my saltwater. I also have a heater on its own controller to keep it warm.

Frequent Visitor
    How do you have your connections of the tubes setup in your sump? I'm a little concerned about keeping the tubing that takes out the old water getting clogged up. Thanks!

Frequent Visitor
    I have the one that removes the water after my filter socks next to my skimmer. I have no way of really stopping it from clogging at the moment.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm thinking of rigging up a small sock in the sump that both tubes feed into. Just need to figure out how best to do it.

Frequent Visitor
    I would suggest that if you go that route you put the OSW before the NSW in the sump. I have my OSW next to the skimmer and the NSW in the return pump chamber.

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah, the plan is to do the same. They will be mounted as far apart in the sump as possible. I found some sock holders at BRS that mount on the edge of the sump that should work fine. Just need to see how best to anchor the tubes to the sock mount brackets to ensure they stay in place.

Regular Vistor
    Woild love to have youre opinion on how loud the dos is and how is this working out for u i would be doing somethimg very similar to youre system for water changes

Frequent Visitor
    It is to loud for my living room. My wife hates it and complains constantly. So I will get a long cord and move it to the garage.

Regular Vistor
    Its that bad and in a cabinet ?

Regular Vistor
    Anyway thanks

Frequent Visitor
    Would like to hear some feedback on how well this unit is working on taking the same amount out as it puts in? Was about to go with a different company that many others have had good success with but if this works may go this route.

Frequent Visitor
    It works very very well that way. I've had a time or two that one has shut off due to something I don't know about. But other than that of they are both running they pump the same amount.

This is a good example. Not sure why one was off for a little bit. They are both setup to go the same amount for the same time.

Frequent Visitor
    thanks loki how long has your been up and running?

Anyone else care to share?

Frequent Visitor
    No problem. Mines been running since Christmas.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks that helps me to

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast