Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DOS for water changes problem

Regular Vistor
    How many gallons a day are you changing using the dos

Frequent Visitor
    3.5 gallons per day for now. The plan is to cut it back to half of that eventually. That puts 50g per two weeks its a 65g tank with about 75 total water volume.

Regular Vistor
    Ok thanks and how long does that take for the dos to change that in a day

Regular Vistor
    I appreciate it all if u can answer that last one i wont ask no more thanks loki

Frequent Visitor
    It can run up to 250ml per minute. I had it set to change it over 24 hours but yesterday I dropped it down to change it over 4 hours.

At 24 hours it was on for one minute every 10 minutes.

Regular Vistor
    I see why the wife dont like it lol thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    It works very very well that way. I've had a time or two that one has shut off due to something I don't know about. But other than that of they are both running they pump the same amount.

This is a good example. Not sure why one was off for a little bit. They are both setup to go the same amount for the same time.
    I can almost guarantee you that it is your conductivity lines in the advanced programming being set too narrow. Ome unfortunate part about the wizard as it stands now is that it sets the times so that the pumps turn on close to the same time, but not simultaneously. If you say have a quick spike in conductivity above your setpoint, then one pump will turn off and miss part of the dose until the spike goes down. This can be resolved by either using profiles to ensire they both pump simultaneously or by making your conductivity failsafe further from your normal level.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    All Good info keep it coming think I am going to go this route versus another for my auto water change.

Frequent Visitor
    I have removed my conductivity lines as of now. The conductivity of the NSW matches that of my tank very closely anyways so it shouldn't change it much.

Regular Vistor
    Great job. I was thinking of doing the same thing do you worry about your NSW running low? And do you disable this while making a new batch?

Frequent Visitor
    I have a 55g drum in the garage so I haven't got there yet. I do worry about it running low. I'm trying to think of a way to have a float switch in the garage

DOS for water changes problem

Quote Originally Posted by seattlereef View Post
    Great job. I was thinking of doing the same thing do you worry about your NSW running low? And do you disable this while making a new batch?
    I have a low float switch in my SW mix tank so I'll be alerted if low. That will still leave enough water for about 2 days in the reservoir. But that shouldn't happen - my SW reservoir holds enough to run two weeks worth. I do suppress AWC on weekends, which is when I mix up new SW
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Russ, how do you have a float switch in your mix tank? How far away is it from your controller?

I have another Apex in the garage.

But I could have run wires into the tank Apex along with the tubing if I'd wanted too.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I'm considering setting this up (once DOS gets back in stock). I'm thinking I would use an Avast Marine pressure switch for the low NSW. For your programing are you just setting up the DOS to pull OSW and push NSW at the same time at a set rate? Or are you using your low sump switch? I'm considering something along the lines of:

One for AWC_Remove Water.
    This one would pull 1 gallon out of the sump and disable ATO.

Then stage two for AWC_Add which would run the other side of the DOS to pull NSW until the low sump switch turned off.

Once both are done ATO resumes normal programing.

I'm concerned if I just do metering then I won't get the same amount back in that I take out. IE Add two much and salinity will climb. Add not enough salinity will fall.

Frequent Visitor
    Dang! That's balling right there

Tubing? I was just thinking of an ATO that uses 1/4" tubing would be awesome because then I wouldn't have to carry buckets to fill my ATO next to the tank.

It is much more accurate to have the dos pull out 1 gallon and add 1 gallon back in. A typical float has a volume error of up to 1/4" sump height. For a 30 gallon sump, this corresponds to up to up to 1/2 gallon of maximum error. Compare this to the dos metering which has an error of less than 0.1% when properly calibrated. That corresponds to a maximum error of 0.001 gallons. Huge difference there.

Frequent Visitor
    I plan to order one as soon as I can find one! I already ran the lines from garage to fish room through attic when I was running my RODI line to fill up my ATO tank in fish room from RODI tank in the garage.

Frequent Visitor
    Just a question about durability of motors in the DOS system, has anyone calculated how an Auto water change or continuous water change using the Neptune DOS will affect long term lifespan of the stepper motors? I have an Apex and I am think of purchasing one of these units to do a continuous water change weekly of about 10% of my water volume , which is around 14 gallons a week. I was reading in a thread somewhere that , the motors may burn out quicker doing a continuous water change. Is there any validity on this????

No. The DOS wizard automatically adds a dwell time to prevent overheating so it is not an issue whatsoever. Neptune testing at the maximum speed and minimum dwell time has shown a mtbf of 5000 hours at 250mL/min speed. Since this is a stepper motor, as ling as the minumum dwell time is followed, the mtbf can be translated into a volume rather than speed due to the inherent design characteristics of the motor. What this means is that regardless of the speed you operate the pump at, your pump will last in the vicinity of around 20,000 gallons before the motor needs to be replaced. In your case, that would be about 26 years. The electronics inside the DOS are gonna fail long before the motor does.

Frequent Visitor
    Zombie I couldn't of asked for a better explanation. I appreciate it.

Have one more question for you regarding this?? I use a Tunze for ato, would I run any risk running that in conjunction with the DOS continuous water change???? Or would the slow amount of water change not affect the ATO that much???

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by italquam View Post
    Zombie I couldn't of asked for a better explanation. I appreciate it.

Have one more question for you regarding this?? I use a Tunze for ato, would I run any risk running that in conjunction with the DOS continuous water change???? Or would the slow amount of water change not affect the ATO that much???
    I'm running mine as an AWC and have an ATO also. I have it run so that both heads run simultaneously when doing water changes so the level in the sump remains the same. I did notice that one head comes on quicker than the other but the time difference between the two is fractions of a second so doesn't affect water level. No matter what the same volume coming out will go in.

Frequent Visitor
    Hi fish, thanks for response. Do you happen to have a copy of how you programmed the DOS to run simulataneous in Apex Fusion

The last couple of posts were taking off in a different direction and were off-topic. I've moved them to a new thread: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...rels-resevoirs

Frequent Visitor
    Sounds good to me......still wondering if anyone knows the programming of where I can see how to program in Fusion the simultaneous water change so I don't have my ATO dump extra water in surplus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast