Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DŌS noise level. To much for my living room.

Frequent Visitor

DŌS noise level. To much for my living room.

I am running my DOS for auto water changes and I'm changing just over 6,000ml per day. I'm trying to get it done in 2-6 hours but the noise level created by this thing is making it difficult to find the right time. I have an app on my iPhone called decible10th and it's reading 90 on the DOS while running and 70-75 on my couch ~10-12 feet away. This is hard to watch TV or have a conversation while it's going on because of the pitch as well as the volume.

I am wondering if this is a normal noise level people are experiencing with this. I do know that I sent my AFS in for service and it came back virtually silent compared to when I got it. So what's your guys' experience with the noise level of this?

Frequent Visitor
    Just measured it in the bedroom 65db (ish) while running and 50-55ish with it off. This is with a box fan on. It's just to dang loud and high pitched. If anyone knows of a way to make it quieter I would love to hear it.

Frequent Contributor
    Here are some tips.

First of all, the longer the window of time, the slower the pump will pump/spin. The slower it pumps, the quieter it will be.

Make sure the tubing or the case of the DOS (except the rubber feet) does not touch any solid surface. Doing so effectively transfers any vibrations and turns that surface into a speaker of sorts.

Last, if you want to isolate the transfer of sound even further, have the tubing hanging straight down and set the DOS on a piece of foam or other insulator.

Frequent Visitor
    I have it wall mounted. Perhaps I could get a silicone mat and put between it and the wall? Any other suggestions for a wall mounted DOS?

Other than the noise the thing is amazing!

I wall-mounted mine too. Just to be sure that the wall didn't act as a soundboard, I stuck 4 of these on the back of the DOS.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420304831.776820.jpg

They are a medium-dense foam rubber. A coupla bux at Walmart....
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Russ. I'll grab something like that and put it on mine.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm running into the same issue with mine - I thought it might be a bad head on it, but I think it's really just the pump. Especially at the higher dosing rates, it's pretty loud (and it's not vibration, this is the pump noise).

Frequent Contributor
    The only way to differentiate between resonating sound and that of the pumps themselves is by isolating it from the surface it is attached to. Even if the tubing touches a surface you will get resonance transfer. And, yes, at 250ml/min it will be louder than at 7ml/min.

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah, I know. I held the pump in my hand as it ran to gauge the difference (it wasn't much). The reality is that we can't perfectly isolate pumps. Mounting it on a wall helped, but it's still loud above the 7 ml/min speed.

I do like the pumps (I have three), but the limitations in programming (64 cycles per day, interval of four times dosing time) contribute to the noise.

For AWC it's ok, if you can schedule it when no one's around. But for me, for kalkwasser on a medium (220g approx net volume) sized tank, it's not a quiet solution. I need to dose it all day long to stabilize alkalinity, but it's just too loud.

Frequent Visitor
    Yep, I can't stand the noise either. I thought these units were going to be super quiet as their web article suggests. These are incredibly loud. I have it programmed to do a 2 gallon water change per day spread out over 24 hours. I can hear it from the other end of the house and the DOS is set up in a fish room behind closed door. It is distracting and I am rethinking whether or not the noise is even worth having this thing function. My wife can't stand the noise.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuffloud1 View Post
    Yep, I can't stand the noise either. I thought these units were going to be super quiet as their web article suggests. These are incredibly loud. I have it programmed to do a 2 gallon water change per day spread out over 24 hours. I can hear it from the other end of the house and the DOS is set up in a fish room behind closed door. It is distracting and I am rethinking whether or not the noise is even worth having this thing function. My wife can't stand the noise.
    I think you might want to look at the isolation issue I mentioned above. 2 gallons a day should put you in one of the slower modes and should not be that loud. We have tested the product with studio quality sound meters and in no mode has it ever exceeded 70dB. In fact, we have put it up against similar devices like the BRS pump (50ml version) and it is far quieter. You must also realize that whenever you are trying to hear something, however faint, you likely will. And, if it is not something that is constant on, you will pick up on it even more. Compared to many other aquarium devices including other popular, similar quality peristaltic pumps, the DOS is equal or quieter. If it still seems too bothersome, we suggest running your dosing or water change schedule in times that you are likely away from home or separated from the tank (like overnight).

Oh, and one more thing, they do take a bit of time to break in.

Frequent Visitor
    Terence,

Is it not recommended to run it constantly? What I'm asking is, at 250ml/min I need it to run 25.3 minutes. Would it be harder on the unit and decrease its life if I have it run 26 minutes per day at 250ml/min instead of doing its 2 on 8 off over two hours via the wizard.

If it wasn't for the wife I would have no problem picking times when I'm not home and letting it run. We have two kids under three and we are always home.

Frequent Visitor
    I would also like to know if the life span will be decreased from longer slower run times.

Don't get me wrong, I love the DOS so far, just not the noise. All I can tell you is, at 2 gallons a day, the DOS is the loudest piece of equipment in my fish room and I am not "trying" to hear it. I did put pads between the wall and unit and it did not improve the noise level. 1 gallon a day was much quiter than 2 gallons a day. I let the system calculate the intervals on its own to spread the 2 gallons out over the 24 hour period. It comes in very frequently to achieve this. I can't imagine spreading it out anymore, it would be constantly running.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    I think you might want to look at the isolation issue I mentioned above. 2 gallons a day should put you in one of the slower modes and should not be that loud. We have tested the product with studio quality sound meters and in no mode has it ever exceeded 70dB. In fact, we have put it up against similar devices like the BRS pump (50ml version) and it is far quieter. You must also realize that whenever you are trying to hear something, however faint, you likely will. And, if it is not something that is constant on, you will pick up on it even more. Compared to many other aquarium devices including other popular, similar quality peristaltic pumps, the DOS is equal or quieter. If it still seems too bothersome, we suggest running your dosing or water change schedule in times that you are likely away from home or separated from the tank (like overnight).

Oh, and one more thing, they do take a bit of time to break in.
    Thanks for the response Terence, and I do hope mine break in. I think you make some good points, but I wanted to clarify something.

70db is quite loud - similar to a vacuum cleaner. My tank is relatively quiet, hovering between about 40-45db on average, which is slightly less than 1/8 (12.5%) as loud as the pump at max. Even isolating the pump from the stand, and running at what I think is the 25ml/min rate, the pump starts in the low 60db range (from 5 feet away, through the stand) and then goes down to the 55db range. So that's like going from a quiet library (~40db) to a loud conversation (~60db), which tends to be quite distracting even if you're not specifically listening for it.

I also understand your point about dosing when not near the tank, which brings me to my request: could you improve the scheduling logic/interface in Fusion? Currently, if I want to dose kalkwasser, for example, at even intervals, I have to calculate out the proportions myself. As an example, I work (generally) from about 8:30 to about 6pm, and then go to sleep around 11pm. So I would want kalk to be dosed proportionally throughout the day, except for the times when I'm around. In order to do that, I would need to set up three intervals and divide the amount proportionally between them. Weekends further complicate it, as I'm around all weekend and would generally only want it dosing overnight.

I know I can do it manually, but it would be nice to have it calculate automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffloud1 View Post
    I would also like to know if the life span will be decreased from longer slower run times.

Maybe I'm missing something?
    Faster speed = more heat = reduced lifespan.

With that said, the 5000 hour (19,000 gallon) motor lifespan is based on running it at full speed at a high duty cycle. At slower speeds, I would wager that the motor could last somewhere in the 25,000 gallon range.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by msderganc View Post
    Thanks for the response Terence, and I do hope mine break in. I think you make some good points, but I wanted to clarify something.

70db is quite loud - similar to a vacuum cleaner. My tank is relatively quiet, hovering between about 40-45db on average, which is slightly less than 1/8 (12.5%) as loud as the pump at max. Even isolating the pump from the stand, and running at what I think is the 25ml/min rate, the pump starts in the low 60db range (from 5 feet away, through the stand) and then goes down to the 55db range. So that's like going from a quiet library (~40db) to a loud conversation (~60db), which tends to be quite distracting even if you're not specifically listening for it.

I also understand your point about dosing when not near the tank, which brings me to my request: could you improve the scheduling logic/interface in Fusion? Currently, if I want to dose kalkwasser, for example, at even intervals, I have to calculate out the proportions myself. As an example, I work (generally) from about 8:30 to about 6pm, and then go to sleep around 11pm. So I would want kalk to be dosed proportionally throughout the day, except for the times when I'm around. In order to do that, I would need to set up three intervals and divide the amount proportionally between them. Weekends further complicate it, as I'm around all weekend and would generally only want it dosing overnight.

I know I can do it manually, but it would be nice to have it calculate automatically.
    I said under 70dB - and that is with the worst circumstances. Normal operation has it around the low 50s in most common modes. This is about the sound level of your refrigerator.

If you are expecting any quality dosing pump to be around 45dB at 50ml/min or greater I think you will be universally disappointed.

And as far as configuring it, I doubt we will ever add that kind of automatic logic but someone here might be able to help you do it manually.

New User
    My left pump is making a clicking noise that my right pump does not. You can feel it click when you touch the Orange cover. I also noticed that the tubing rides close the the outside of the cover vs the left side which rides closer to the motor. Not sure if this is relevant to the clicking noise.

Make sure you pump has the latest firmware (not your controller, your pump). To do so, use the Module Setup web page. Select your pump, then click the radio button to update the firmware.

When done, cycle the power to the DOS. See if that helps.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Hamburg Mattenfilter
    Why not build a sound isolation box around the unit?

http://www.msnoise.com/

New User
    I don't see the pump listed. I also don't have the switches in Fusion,just the dosing set up.

He wasnt referring to fusion. You have to go to the classic dashboard to update module firmware. If your switches arent showing up, look in the unused tiles.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

New User
    So I am in my dashboard and all I see is
    DOS_6
    then buttons below to either rename,update firmware or delete module.
    I don't see a "radio" button. Am I missing something? Are you someplace else? I really feel like an idiot with this thing. I still can't get the graph and switches to show up either....never mind the fact that I tried to use different tubing on one side and it keeps draining out. I am ready to pull out the measuring cups! Oh, and there are no unused tiles to drag either.

then buttons below to either rename,update firmware or delete module.
    I don't see a "radio" button
    That's it! Update Firmware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_button
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Contributor

DŌS noise level. To much for my living room.

Edrizzo, I strongly suggest you go to www..neptunesystems.com/getstarted and follow the steps carefully. After that, if you still cannot have the DŌS show up correctly on your Apex Fusion dashboard or in the unused tiles area therein, I suggest you contact support. Also, it might be a better idea to start a new thread here if you have configuration issues as that is somewhat off topic from the OP.

New User
    Ok. I did that but no changes. I deleted the whole module and then hooked it back up again. Still no graphs or on/off/auto switches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast