Thread: Apex units and moisture/humidity.

Apex units and moisture/humidity.

Hello everyone!
    I am wondering if I should relocate my Apex (on the right) before I finish wiring it all in? My concern is the long term effects of moisture and humidity.
    The stand is vented with an 80mm computer fan (upper left corner), rated at approx. 23 cfm. Interior stand volume is 18 cuft.
    Currently running Base unit, PM2, and Netgears WiFI (not shown).
    Plan to add WXM, LSM and possibly ALD.
    Sump only holds 15 gals, ATO is 12 gals, and display is a 65gal.
    I am planning an acrylic splash guard for the EB8 and power bar.

Thanks for any and all input!

jan5_15 009.jpg

They stand up very well to high humidity. As long as there is no way for saltwater to splash on them, you should be fine.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

That's a beautiful setup you have there but I think I have to disagree with zombie on this - I wouldn't mount my equipment right above/next to my sump if at all possible. I'd put that equipment outside the sump area or in some sort of enclosure if mounting it outside is impossible.

While the units are very well made they all have jacks on them with ways for moisture and salt creep to make their way inside. Electricity and salt water make for strange bedfellows.

Also, I've got a good friend that mounted his controller just the way you have and one day while removing it for some reason he dropped it into his sump. Nothing good comes from that!

If you can come up with an alternative, that's what I'd do.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    That's a beautiful setup you have there but I think I have to disagree with zombie on this - I wouldn't mount my equipment right above/next to my sump if at all possible. I'd put that equipment outside the sump area or in some sort of enclosure if mounting it outside is impossible.

While the units are very well made they all have jacks on them with ways for moisture and salt creep to make their way inside. Electricity and salt water make for strange bedfellows.

Also, I've got a good friend that mounted his controller just the way you have and one day while removing it for some reason he dropped it into his sump. Nothing good comes from that!

If you can come up with an alternative, that's what I'd do.
    I tend to agree with Al at 100% .

Alain

Frequent Contributor jrlamountain's Avatar
    you could enclose the apex in a acrylic box. i saw something like that on a mr.saltwatertanktv video

New User
    Well, let me tell you what I did today. I was working in my sump and I managed to knock my controller off the wall and in to the sump. Controller is shot, I would not mount it anywhere near the water and learn from my bad move.

New User
    I have my Apex in my stand of my 180 for over two years now with no problems.i also have computer fans on each end of my stand along with four five inch holes in the back of my stand my Apex is mounted on a small wall that I built inside my stand which makes the Apex face toured the right side of the stand which I can get to with a door that opens on that side. Works well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I have moved the Apex to the outside of the cabinet just to be safe. Out of curiosity I went and bought a digital thermometer/humidistat to do some testing. Here are some results so far.

Results without water in system:

Outside the cabinet, next to the tank: 40 - 50 % Humidity throughout the day.

Inside the cabinet, next to the sump: 45 - 55 % Humidity throughout the day.

I will post some more results once the tank gets wet. Obviously results will vary depending on where you live, your homes HVAC system, etc, but I'd thought I'd at least document some results in this thread.

Cheers,

Warren

Results with water in the system:

Inside the cabinet, without exhaust fan running: up to 70 % humidity.

Inside the cabinet, with exhaust fan running 24/7: no greater than 55 % humidity

In conclusion I would have to say that it's just fine to have electronics in a sealed stand as long as you take precautions.

1) a splash guard

2) exhaust fan

3) diligent maintenance in cleaning surfaces of salt creep

4) regular inspection of all electrical connections, prongs, aquabus, etc.