Thread: Water change,etc

Regular Vistor

Water change,etc

Im just starting to set up my water change system, starting with the RO reservoir. Its set up with a low and a high switch.

This is for freshwater shrimp tanks So after the reservoir has reached the low point i want it to wait to fill untill i can add some water additives. This is what i have right now
    The issue im having is The latch works, i reset it and it immediately goes back to latched. Which to me makes sense based on the state of Ro_L. I added the defer line to try to allow the water level to reset Ro_L. But it doesnt appear to work. Is there a better way of accomplishing this? I was trying to think of a way to keep Ro_Latch reset until Ro_H went closed.

Any Suggestions?

Edit
    After some testing i relized none of this works as soon as Ro_L goes closed Ro_solonoid turns off, regardless of the latch state

Ro_Latch
    If Ro_L OPEN Then ON
    Defer 010:00 Then ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF

Ro_solonoid
    Fallback OFF
    If Ro_L OPEN Then ON
    If Ro_H CLOSED Then OFF
    If Outlet Ro_Latch = ON Then OFF

Im not sure which way you have the switch oriented, but you are telling it to latch off when the switch opens, but also to turn on when the low switch opens. Your floats should be oriented so that the low switch opens when down and the high switch opens when up for the best reliability. This orientation would result in the code below.

Ro_Latch
    If Ro_L OPEN Then ON
    Defer 010:00 Then ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF

Ro_solonoid
    Fallback OFF
    If Ro_L CLOSED Then ON
    If Ro_H OPEN Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Right now both switches are open when the water level is below them. Ill have to change the top one to be failsafe, i knew the correct way but just installed it incorrectly, there is a mechanical backup to it also

I wanted it to turn on when the water level goes below the lower switch Ro_L OPEN but be delayed until i add the chemicals and reset the latch

Actually, now that I think about it some more, your code was actually correct for the orientation. I think the problem was that you didnt turn off the latch for long enough for the switch to close.

It is also possible that you have what O call the "sticky latch" bug. The fix for that bug it to create a reset VO for the latch that you turn on to reset the latch and leave in auto after instead of resetting the latch outlet by setting to off and back to auto.

Res_Latch
    Set OFF

RO_Latch
    (Other code)
    If Outlet Res_Latch = ON Then OFF

Regular Vistor
    OK I'll see what it does. Thanks

Just edited my post. See my additional comments in post 4

Regular Vistor
    seems to work fine now. The latching does work exactly as planned, i have to hit it twice to reset Ro_L. which means i have time to add the chemicals before it incompletely fills. Which in teh end works ,

Thanks for your help zombie!

Im going to let this run for a few days then test out my AWC ill post again if i run into an issue

Regular Vistor
    so The latch isnt working as needed so i will have to work on that some more. I need to figure out exactly how long to make the defer command.
    Any ways here is my AWC programming, Let me know what u think and any wisdom you have to share. I feel like my code is sloppy and i dont think i have accounted for any sistuation like say it was during the AWC_Fill was running and the RO_solonoid came on due to the Ro_L going closed. The AWC would just stop at whatever state

Float switches are open when floated

AWC_Drain
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Outlet Ro_solonoid = ON Then OFF
    If Time 20:00 to 20:30 Then ON
    If Outlet AWC_Fill = ON Then OFF
    If L_Lvl CLOSED Then OFF
    Min Time 020:00 Then OFF
    If DoW -M-W-F- Then OFF

AWC_Fill
    Fallback OFF
    If Outlet Ro_solonoid = ON Then OFF
    If L_Lvl CLOSED Then ON
    If N_Lvl OPEN Then OFF
    If H_Lvl OPEN Then OFF

I see why the latch wasnt working. You need closed not open. Didnt catch that before.

Regular Vistor
    latch works fine now. What about the rest of the programming any thing special i should add. Im about to go out of town and want to make sure i have everything as solid as i can

The RO solenoid line isnt going to do anything based on your ordering. What was your intention for that? Just to stop the sequence if the RO is running?

Regular Vistor
    The If Outlet Ro_solonoid = ON Then OFF line is supposed to prevent The AWC From occurring while the RO reservoir is being filled, When it is completely filled i know what the TDS/KH will be when the water change happens

Then move that line to the end then for both drain and fill.

Regular Vistor
    ok cool thanks

Also, if you want to prevent the potential problem of the drain happening and the RO starting mid fill and stopping the fill sequence, I would also do the code below and make sure the float that triggers the RO is high enough for one fill to happen.

Create a VO

RO_Stop
    Set OFF
    If Outlet AWC_Drain = ON Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then OFF

In the RO outlet, add the line
    If Outlet RO_Stop = ON Then OFF

Regular Vistor
    That is great, if i understand it correctly, The VO will keep the Ro_Solonoid from coming on for 30 minutes after the AWC_Drain starts?

so

RO_Stop
    Set OFF
    If Outlet AWC_Drain = ON Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then OFF

Ro_solonoid
    Fallback OFF
    If Ro_L CLOSED Then ON
    If Ro_H OPEN Then OFF
    If Outlet RO_Stop = ON Then OFF

It will prevent the ro solenoid from coming on for 30 minutes after the drain finishes, which should be long enough to allow the fill to completely finish

Regular Vistor
    How does the defer start after the AWC_Drain finishes? I must not be understanding the command correctly

Because its defer then off. The outlet turns on while the drain cycle is going and the defer makes it wait 30 minutes after the on condition (drain cycle) is no longer active

Regular Vistor
    oh defer starts after the change in output, thanks again!