Thread: Lifespan of Probes

New User

Lifespan of Probes

Hi guys I was just wondering how long the lifespan of the probes are as ive got a PH probe thats very twitchy, I re-calibrated it last night and since has not risen over 7.89 plus it is about a year and a half old.

Most of my probes are over 2 years old and still " probing " perfectly .

Alain

Also the type of probe - I've had terrible luck with some brands and great luck with others in terms of longevity.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    Also the type of probe - I've had terrible luck with some brands and great luck with others in terms of longevity.
    This. Some brands I've had go wonky after a year, like clockwork. Other brands do much better. I'm currently running a 2+ year old Pinpoint pH probe and it's still doing great.

Between myself and reefing buddies, we have had probes last 2+ years using milwaukee, pinpoint and BRS double junction probes. The double junction part is the kicker here. We have never had a Neptune lab grade or any other single junction probe last more than a year. Moral of the story, get a double junction probe, and message to Terrance, start stamping the pinpoint double junction probe for your lab grade. I would gladly pay an extra few dollars for the added longevity.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    so are these other manufacturers probes compatible with the apex then?

Any pH probe is compatible with the apex. The neptune lab grade was the best single junction probe my friends or I have found, so that will work well for a year or so if you have that, but when it comes time to replace it, a double junction probe will last longer.

[QUOTE=zombie;61614]Any pH probe is compatible with the apex. The neptune lab grade was the best single junction probe my friends or I have found, so that will work well for a year or so if you have that, but when it comes time to replace it, a double junction probe will last longer.

What about Conductivity probes? These are expensive little items..and I've had to replace mine within a year.

Vic

Vic Brincat - 125G Mixed Reef

The conductivity probe is specific to the Apex.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Thanks Russ.

Could you comment on the life expectancy of the conductivity probes?

Vic

Vic Brincat - 125G Mixed Reef

Quote Originally Posted by cadmanof50s View Post
    I have limited experience with them - all I can say is that mine is about a year old and doing fine.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cadmanof50s View Post
    Thanks Russ.

Vic
    I dont remember who posted it a while back (I think it was AlainB) that said he had one running strong for over 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I dont remember who posted it a while back (I think it was AlainB) that said he had one running strong for over 3 years.

Did not reach 3 yet but we have a strong 2 !

Alain

Regular Vistor
    I know this is an old thread, but I have been running my pH probe for 4 years. Just replacing now to upgrade to the new controller. pH probe still running strong though.

Regular Vistor
    Went searching to see about expected lifespan of double junction ORP probes as mine is dated 2016 and I just had my pH probe also dated 2016 finally start going wonky. I guess 4 years is probably past the expected lifespan.. should I just replace it on account of that or keep running it until it starts acting funny?

Same principle with the cond and temp probe? Both seem to be doing just fine. How long might we expect those to stay good for?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by otter_water View Post
    Went searching to see about expected lifespan of double junction ORP probes as mine is dated 2016 and I just had my pH probe also dated 2016 finally start going wonky. I guess 4 years is probably past the expected lifespan.. should I just replace it on account of that or keep running it until it starts acting funny?

Same principle with the cond and temp probe? Both seem to be doing just fine. How long might we expect those to stay good for?
    I have a Cond probe that is over 5 and still works just as well as my one on the other Apex that is about a year old, I see no need to replace it provide it reads right and calibrates properly.

PH Probes,.. it depends. I don't run anything off them anymore,.. When I used a CA reactor and controlled it by PH I replaced yearly for safety, now I replace when they won't calibrate or start acting funny because I don't rely on them to control anything,.. I just reference the PH for general information.

Temp probes,.. I'm still using one from a Aquacontroller JR that I bought in the middle 2000's as a second probe on my system. They are good as long as they are reading right.

ORP I've never taken especially seriously except for general information. I don't calibrate this at all, and probably wouldn't know if the readings it were giving were totally wrong.

Whiskey