Thread: Webcam control with Apex??

New User

Webcam control with Apex??

I was wondering if there was a way to control when my webcam broadcasts open to the public? I am using an old android phone, using the IP Webcam App and consistently streaming a live video feed. I don't want it running during a certain time. (ex : 1900-0700) I was wondering if there was a way to connect it to a virtual outlet, so that I don't have to manually set it up every morning. I have created a "guest" account for followers to view my tank, and I don't want it running 24/7. Any suggestions might help. Everything is running and broadcasting fine internally and externally through the router.

Jeremy

New User
    And if anyone has any questions about setting up an old phone to use as a IP Webcam or how to make it able to be viewed externally or internally through either fusion or the classic apex system, please feel free to ask. Also, I am using a HTC EVO with a CenturyLink C1000A modem. not sure what everyone else uses. Just wish I could pause the live video feed at night using the apex system.

I can't think of anything you can do in the Apex.
    You may be able to set a schedule in your router to allow & deny Internet access from the IP address of the phone at the desired times.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    I tried that, but it didn't work. Might try that again and adjust a few things. When I attempted that last night, it did nothing, but I am wondering if its still getting through because its being forwarded through the fusion or apex system. I wish the camera area on the apex could have an advance user setting where you could have more control over the times it shows on and off.

This type of control can be done with dedicated IP cameras (that have a power supply), but I cant think of a way to do it with a phone. Until you get a new ip cam, dont walk naked in front of the tank. Lol.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can PROVE it mathematically.

Video does not go through the Fusion servers or the Apex. The Fusion & Apex web media tiles just provides a box in the web browser for the video to be displayed in. The actual video goes directly from your camera to your computer or other device. There's no way for Fusion to control the output of the video stream itself.

When you attempted using schedule in the router, did you actually test via the Internet? Blocking it by schedule in the router won't restrict local access.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    I totally understand that apex and fusion just provides a box for the video to be displayed in, but being that I have to supply the information, I was hoping that there was a way to stop the feed at certain times of the day. I mean if I had to put the IP address in for the video to be viewed, there should be a time to stop that feed being forwarded through the system. I also tried to block internet access from the IP cam/phone, but it doesn't stop it from external viewing, just that I can't access the internet through the device. Just frustrating is all.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by twohuskynight View Post
    And if anyone has any questions about setting up an old phone to use as a IP Webcam or how to make it able to be viewed externally or internally through either fusion or the classic apex system, please feel free to ask. Also, I am using a HTC EVO with a CenturyLink C1000A modem. not sure what everyone else uses. Just wish I could pause the live video feed at night using the apex system.
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ion)-dashboard

I can verify this works and works great!

Quote Originally Posted by twohuskynight View Post
    I totally understand that apex and fusion just provides a box for the video to be displayed in, but being that I have to supply the information, I was hoping that there was a way to stop the feed at certain times of the day. I mean if I had to put the IP address in for the video to be viewed, there should be a time to stop that feed being forwarded through the system. I also tried to block internet access from the IP cam/phone, but it doesn't stop it from external viewing, just that I can't access the internet through the device. Just frustrating is all.
    Even if you could set a schedule for a media tile in Fusion, it would not prevent viewing of the video stream through methods outside of Fusion, such as using a web browser to directly access the camera, or using an app.

When you tried using a schedule in your router, did you actually test to see if it works by using a device connected to the Internet (not using your home network), such as a phone or tablet with WiFi turned off so it is using cellular data?

New User
    I totally understand that you could view it at anytime outside the fusion. However I set up a specific account on the fusion that someone that I give the username and password to can view it, but I want to limit the times its accessible through the fusion so I have access 24/7 for when I am away and such. I have tested it through friends accross the country and through my phone off my network. When I limit access through the router, it limits the outgoing access to the internet, but not the inbound streaming view.

New User
    How do you add a photo to the media spot of Apex Fusion?

Webcam control with Apex??

Quote Originally Posted by mkmcaninch View Post
    How do you add a photo to the media spot of Apex Fusion?
    Please do not hijack an existing thread with a question which is about something different than the topic of that thread. Start a new thread instead.

Upload your image to a photo sharing web site. Most will provide a Share link to each image. Use that URL in the Media tile.

New User
    Sorry for the hijack. But new to this forum and still trying to figure out how to post a new topic My sincere apologies.