Thread: Tunze NanoStream6040

Tunze NanoStream6040

I haven't seen anyone mention the new Nanostream 6040 here, so here are some notes from my first experience with a 6040 and Apex.

The pump comes with a dedicated controller permanently attached. The controller has the usual 5-pin DIN connector on it for connection to more advanced Tunze controllers like the 7095 or 7096, and of course, with an Apex. To enable the DIN jack, you must change the mode of the 6040 controller by pressing the Select button until the yellow LED is lit next to where it says "external control" on the label. From that point on, it's just like all of the other controllable Stream pumps: connect it to an Apex VarSpd port using the Neptune STREAM cable.

IMG_1448.JPG

Unlike other Tunze controllable pumps, these just shut off if you attempt to operate them at 30% or less - mine turns on at 31% intensity.

Otherwise, they work just like the bigger pumps, and you can use any Apex programming you might use with the bigger pumps.

I unofficially certify the Nanostream 6040 as unofficially Apex-Ready
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

One additional note: The Main Power knob on the 6040 control unit serves as a speed/power limiter. If you want the max flow, set it to 100%, and then let the Apex totally control the speed. But if full speed is too much for your tank considering the the placement of the pump and size of your tank, you can use this to cap the max speed, such as to prevent sandstorms. So if you have it set to about 60%, for example, the pump will only run up to that capped speed even if the Apex VarSpd outlet is set to a higher value or is ON (100%).
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thanks Russ.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention the new Nanostream 6040 here, so here are some notes from my first experience with a 6040 and Apex.

The pump comes with a dedicated controller permanently attached. The controller has the usual 5-pin DIN connector on it for connection to more advanced Tunze controllers like the 7095 or 7096, and of course, with an Apex. To enable the DIN jack, you must change the mode of the 6040 controller by pressing the Select button until the yellow LED is lit next to where it says "external control" on the label. From that point on, it's just like all of the other controllable Stream pumps: connect it to an Apex VarSpd port using the Neptune STREAM cable.

IMG_1448.JPG

Unlike other Tunze controllable pumps, these just shut off if you attempt to operate them at 30% or less - mine turns on at 31% intensity.

Otherwise, they work just like the bigger pumps, and you can use any Apex programming you might use with the bigger pumps.

I unofficially certify the Nanostream 6040 as unofficially Apex-Ready
    Do you need the VDM module for this to work with an Apex Jr.?

Quote Originally Posted by newtybar View Post
    Do you need the VDM module for this to work with an Apex Jr.?
    Yes. You need varspd ports to control a Tunze.

New User
    That's for this post, it was helpful. I just purchased my apex today and couldn't readily find info online as to if the Nano stream could be controlled by the Apex. Now I know exactly what I need to purchase.

One thing I discovered subsequent to the first post I made here is that the Main Power knob on the control unit serves to limit the max speed of the 6040 even when used with external speed control. Set it to max to get the full speed range of the pump.

New User
    Thank you for the update!