Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Output Breakout Box - anybody else feeling the need?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
    First of all, they don’t need to develop much because this would be pretty much the power bar control logic circuit minus the 120V relays and the power supply. If they wanted they could design it in a few days without breaking a sweat.
    Second, I don’t think there would be only little interest in this. Most serious reefers are tinkerers who do a lot of DIY stuff.
    And especially on the dosing side is a huge need that IMHO is not really met by the DÖS unit, because it is way too bulky and too expensive for just two pumps however good they may be.
    Will the DOS pull the water from my basement though? On a cycle? Without having to setup the hose, connect the pump to my barrel (for full water changes) head back up while pump is running. Make sure all is well. And then clean up after all that. If so, I'm thinking "WORTH IT".

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Not true at all. These are just the brainstorming questions that engineering would need to research thouroughly to create this kind of device before they even start designing circuits.

What is the optimal number of outlets?

Should every outlet be the same voltage or should they each use their own?

How do the power supplies connect?

How do the outputs connect?

How do you coordinate overcurrent protection without knowing the rating of the power supplies?

What is an approximate demand for each configuration, an approximate R&D cost, an approximate manufacturing cost, and wholesale cost? Does that have a potential for profit within one year?
    I'm no engineer, but a variable power supply like a universal adapter? With a red and black lug per slot so you could change polarity if needed. They could set it up like the BOB's connections or even a quick connect like a stereo for ease of maintaining equipment. Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_Lips View Post
    Will the DOS pull the water from my basement though? On a cycle? Without having to setup the hose, connect the pump to my barrel (for full water changes) head back up while pump is running. Make sure all is well. And then clean up after all that. If so, I'm thinking "WORTH IT".
    The DOS is capable of all of those things.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The DOS is capable of all of those things.
    So then it will pull 12' of head?

Yes. I forget what the tested value was, but I know for certain its more than 12 ft.

Regular Vistor
    The thing I don't like, is the water changes are not a flush of fresh salt water. But the ease and slow drip process is probably easier on both the livestock and myself. Salt costs will go up a bit since the water swap will be most likely more often. Correct me if I'm wrong. But if I pull let's just say 1% nitrates/bad water per gallon. The first gallon goes out at that rate then 1% of 99% and so on and so on. I guess that's why we keep chato, calurpa, and clams...... LOL but after the initial 1k sets in, I'll start working on the back up battery system and DOS. The possibilities are ENDLESS. Kinda worse than a boat. This thing is a tub of water I CANT SEEM TO THROW ENOUGH MONEY AT!!! PLEASE DONT TELL MY WIFE WHAT THIS REALLY IS COSTING. I'm not just talking the Neptune either

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_Lips View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But if I pull let's just say 1% nitrates/bad water per gallon. The first gallon goes out at that rate then 1% of 99% and so on and so on. I
    Technically a 30% monthly continuous AWC is equivalent to a single 26% batch change, but has the advantage of lowering the peak bad nutrient levels in comparison, making trace elements levels more stable, and reducing shock to inhabitants. So yes, you will use just a tad more salt (about 5% more if you are doing weekly water changes), but you will have a happier tank as a result with less work.

Regular Vistor
    Oh I gotcha. Wasn't exact on numbers but figured somewhere in that range. I have two 55 barrels one of RO and the other mixed salt. Both on top off floats. So I guess I make a batch of salt water shut down the valve and let her rock. Come back in 3 weeks and refill. At that rate as well, not sure topping off with fresh water will be necessary

Regular Vistor
    Now if someone could make a saltwater mixer system I think I could almost take vacation. ;-)

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    I am not sure what a perfect idea is...that sounds like engineering talk. I have a software/hardware engineering background and now I am a product guy. I used to be awful at listening to people (e.g., requirements).
    I don't post here much at all, but I do appreciate all the help that this forum provides. Sorry, but can't let this go for someone putting down the helpers. "I have a software/hardware engineering background and now am a product guy" tells me, as someone that stayed in that discipline, who you are. Get real, and complain somewhere else. Zombie, among the others, are here to help... Not squabble.

New User
    I would love to see advanced coding that included analog inputs and all that fun stuff. I love the idea of a more DIY friendly system, at least one the offers a broader range of options besides an open/closed input and a 110v switchable outlet. I recently bought my apex and had visions of DIY fantasies, began searching the forums and familiarizing myself with the software and hardware options, only to find myself limited to a BoB and an EB4/8. Yes, these two can satisfy most basic functions and if the cost of simplicity is wasting energy going from 110v to 12v back to 110v then back to 12v in the process, then that's just it. Some of us are a lot more creative than others and yes, there are some big areas for disaster with more complex setups, but it seems that for the sake of safety and simplicity, you likely will not see anything past the spectrum of the BoB, when it comes to DIY friendly modules/options. No matter how badly I would LOVE to see a 12/24v relay box or a input box that could accept and read on a 0-5v reference scale, it just isn't gonna happen.

New User
    I just noticed that on the RK, the SW5 module has switch inputs like the Apex BoB, and then a single output relay switched terminal, basically just completing a circuit... Surprised RK has it and Apex doesnt offer it.

Frequent Visitor
    I just read through the thread, I too would like the idea of having A low voltage output. BUT I've since changed my mind, I appreciate the discussion here, and Zombie pointing out the realities of the product.

I would also be concerned that although my DIY skills are good, are they great? Would I trust my life support system to my own designs and potential problems. The answer is no. If Neptune gave me the option to buy a tested solution or build my own, I would choose their solution everyday!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12