Thread: Holder/Bracket for PMUP

Frequent Visitor

Holder/Bracket for PMUP

I have a PMUP in my ATO reservoir with a optical sensor near the bottom so my Apex will shut off the ATO and alert me when the water level drops. The problem is the PMUP tubing has some bends in it so it doesn’t like to stay standing and will frequently tip over, meaning it starts sucking air before the water level drops below the sensor. I’ve tried removing the bend in the tubing, but it has too much of a memory and keeps re-bending.

Does anyone have any ideas for a bracket to keep it standing upright?

Try heating up the tubing with a hair dryer and bending it straight. That will basically "reset" the memory of the tubing and then you don't need a bracket at all.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I tried soaking it in hot water - it helped, but there was still some memory in the tubing that gradually returned. I’ll try it again to see if it helps

Frequent Visitor
    The PMUP outlet will accept a standard ⅜" push style fitting.
    So with that in mind, you will need:
    A. (1) ⅜" to ⅜" push fitting
    B. (1) ⅜" to ¼" push fitting
    C. (1) length of ⅜" ridge tubing

1. Attach "A" to the PMUP
    2. Attach "C" to "A"
    3. Place PMUP with tube attached into the container to get a length measurement.
    4. Cut "C" to the proper length.
    5. Attach "B" to "C".
    6. Attach you ATO feed line to "B".

This will hold you PMUP upright!

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried heating the tubing, but it eventually remembered its bend and the pump started tipping over again. A user on Reef2reef posted a link to a holder he had seen and ended up making one similar. The bottom strainer of the pump unscrews and has a flange on it, so I made a simple acrylic stand, put the pump through it and screwed the strainer on from the bottom to hold the pump on the stand.

I'm going to see how it works like this. If I need to, I'll drill some holes and add some suction cups to hold it in place.

IMG_2180.JPG

Hydroponics Guy
    I simply glued a washer to the bottom of my PMUPs and then I use really strong magnets to hold it upright. One inside the basin and one outside the basin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepydoc View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried heating the tubing, but it eventually remembered its bend and the pump started tipping over again. A user on Reef2reef posted a link to a holder he had seen and ended up making one similar. The bottom strainer of the pump unscrews and has a flange on it, so I made a simple acrylic stand, put the pump through it and screwed the strainer on from the bottom to hold the pump on the stand.

I'm going to see how it works like this. If I need to, I'll drill some holes and add some suction cups to hold it in place.

IMG_2180.JPG
    Nice! I'd buy a couple of those... (Yes, I know, easy enough to make.. for some! )

NSI Member
    That is a nice design. I'd buy one too! lol

Someone needs to design a PMUP stand for a 3D printer!

Frequent Visitor
    I'll start drawing up a 3d printable stand... easy to make... anyone know what size the hole should be to allow the pmup to pass through as in the acrylic stand pictured above?

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by isomorphic85 View Post
    I'll start drawing up a 3d printable stand... easy to make... anyone know what size the hole should be to allow the pmup to pass through as in the acrylic stand pictured above?
    33mm, or 1-5/16".

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SuncrestReef View Post
    33mm, or 1-5/16".

great and any idea what the dimension of the strainer portion is? How high from the bottom should the stand portion be where the strainer attaches to the pump itself to allow clearance for the strainer on the bottom?

great and any idea what the dimension of the strainer portion is? How high from the bottom should the stand portion be where the strainer attaches to the pump itself to allow clearance for the strainer on the bottom?
    This should help:

IMG_3540.jpg

Frequent Visitor
    This should help:

IMG_3540.jpg

perfect thank you.

Also not you will want some clearance under the strainer of at least 1/2" and 1" is probably better so it wont suck up solids and ruin the pump. 1" clearance is essential if the pump is used with Kalk.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Here's the first quick version of it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3009614

I have not printed it to test out yet.

if anyone does let me know and I can edit as needed.

Frequent Visitor
    Just saw your note Zombie.

this first version has 30mm for the "legs" where the strainer portion would be.

I can make a version that has a bit more to gain that extra 1/2" of clearance for the strainer as well.

Also hole size for the PMUP is 34mm... let me know if this needs to be adjusted as well if anyone gives it a go.

Frequent Visitor
    I added a version with 45mm legs instead of 30 mm legs as well.

Frequent Visitor
    I finally got around to test printing this... it came out good. Pump mounts in nicely...

pmup mount test print.jpgpmup mount test print 2.jpgpmup mount test print 3.jpg

for the next iteration I was thinking of adding a honeycomb pattern around the side walls as a type of "strainer" and enclosing the sides and doing the same honeycomb all around

I finally got around to test printing this... it came out good. Pump mounts in nicely...

for the next iteration I was thinking of adding a honeycomb pattern around the side walls as a type of "strainer" and enclosing the sides and doing the same honeycomb all around
    Very cool. Until I just recently started in the reefing hobby, I never realized how much I want a 3D printer!!! Any recommendations on a good place to start?

Frequent Visitor
    Very cool. Until I just recently started in the reefing hobby, I never realized how much I want a 3D printer!!! Any recommendations on a good place to start?

that's a tough one... like anything else there are countless choices dependent on budget and what quality of prints you need to be able to achieve, what level of DIY you're comfortable with, or if you need a turn key printer .

if you're able to afford it, I highly suggest the ultimaker line of printers.... have been using them for years and they are extremely reliable and achieve great quality.

if you're going more budget friendly look into the prusa line.

www.printedsolid.com is a good place to poke around and Matt over there is extremely helpful if you have questions.

that's a tough one... like anything else there are countless choices dependent on budget and what quality of prints you need to be able to achieve, what level of DIY you're comfortable with, or if you need a turn key printer .

if you're able to afford it, I highly suggest the ultimaker line of printers.... have been using them for years and they are extremely reliable and achieve great quality.

if you're going more budget friendly look into the prusa line.

www.printedsolid.com is a good place to poke around and Matt over there is extremely helpful if you have questions.
    Thanks! I'll start looking into each of these recommendations.

Very nice. What material would you recommend for printing this?

Frequent Visitor
    I would only use ABS for long term water contacting prints.

New User
    Currently creating this stand for my PMUP including a hole for a float switch. Will upload a picture when its finished.

1540404517990.jpg

New User

Just ran across this. I was thinking that maybe you could have one side slightly raised (about 3/4 inch) to be able to mount a float switch. That way it can be used to shut the PMUP off in the event the reservoir goes low. I dont have a 3d printer and am not good at editing your file to incorporate it. Good design though.