Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which routers DO work with the new AI wireless

Frequent Visitor

Exclamation Which routers DO work with the new AI wireless

If you have had success with connecting your Apex and AI lights wirelessly could you please add the router you are using to the thread.

Netgear Orbi works fine without any special configuration.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    Netgear Orbi works fine without any special configuration.

Yep my Orbi seems to work as well

New User
    I got it to work on mine with a few adjustments.

Model
    Linksys WRT1900ACS

Firmware Version
    OpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.228.31946-f64b152)

I had to install igmpproxy and enable IGMP snooping on the Lan.

Hydroponics Guy
    Just be aware that the Apex (2016) only operates on the 2.4GHz frequency. No 5Ghz. I just had to extensively reconfigure my whole house after switching from CentyLink & DirecTV to COX Gigablast. Both of my extenders and the internet modem use both frequencies, but the only way the Apex would connect is when I manually set the connection to the 2.4GHz band.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderson234 View Post
    Just be aware that the Apex (2016) only operates on the 2.4GHz frequency. No 5Ghz. I just had to extensively reconfigure my whole house after switching from CentyLink & DirecTV to COX Gigablast. Both of my extenders and the internet modem use both frequencies, but the only way the Apex would connect is when I manually set the connection to the 2.4GHz band.
    What connection are you referring to needing to be manually set? Both the Apex and AI lights use 2.4Ghz only, so there nothing in either to select a band.

BTW, Gigablast is great - I have it too.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Hydroponics Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    What connection are you referring to needing to be manually set? Both the Apex and AI lights use 2.4Ghz only, so there nothing in either to select a band.

BTW, Gigablast is great - I have it too.
    Not tonight, it's not. My extenders have two bands they broadcast in. When I set up the WiFi on the Apex, I had to manually set it to the SSID for the 2.4GHz band. The Apex would allow a connection to the 5GHz band, but it wouldn't see anything. No biggie, but I was trying to connect everything in the house to the 5GHz band (I want the AC protocol to be used). But, I severely doubt the Apex sends enough data for it to make a difference anyhow.

Frequent Visitor
    I have LinkSys Velop Mesh Network, and it runs great!

Frequent Visitor
    Not tonight, it's not. My extenders have two bands they broadcast in. When I set up the WiFi on the Apex, I had to manually set it to the SSID for the 2.4GHz band. The Apex would allow a connection to the 5GHz band, but it wouldn't see anything. No biggie, but I was trying to connect everything in the house to the 5GHz band (I want the AC protocol to be used). But, I severely doubt the Apex sends enough data for it to make a difference anyhow.
    I have set the Wifi name and password for both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz to the same so would that not solve the problem?

Hydroponics Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownfishy View Post
    I have set the Wifi name and password for both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz to the same so would that not solve the problem?
    Not if your Apex connects to the 5GHz band. In theory, everything should play nice together and the router and the Apex should negotiate the proper band, but that's not what happens. The Apex will connect to 5GHz, it just doesn't work properly. Manually setting your Apex to the 2.4GHz band ensures you don't have this problem now or in the future.

Frequent Visitor
    Many thanks :-)

Not if your Apex connects to the 5GHz band. In theory, everything should play nice together and the router and the Apex should negotiate the proper band, but that's not what happens. The Apex will connect to 5GHz, it just doesn't work properly. Manually setting your Apex to the 2.4GHz band ensures you don't have this problem now or in the future.
    This is incorrect. The Apex cannot connect to a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network at all. The wireless interface supports 2.4 GHz operation only. There is no way to “manually set” the Apex to select a band as you state because it is not a dual-band device.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Hydroponics Guy
    This is incorrect. The Apex cannot connect to a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network at all. The wireless interface supports 2.4 GHz operation only. There is no way to “manually set” the Apex to select a band as you state because it is not a dual-band device.
    Sorry to disagree, RussM. Allow me to explain. I have many SSIDs. I have a 2.4GHz SSID called "Network2". I also have a 5GHz SSID called "Network5". In my very well-tested setup, the Apex (2016) would successfully upload the parameters and connect to Network5. But it wouldn't connect to Fusion or the Internet. I had to connect to Apex.local and then change the SSID to Network2. It would then upload the new parameters and connect to Network2. Everything worked at that point.

While you may have manually entered the SSID and PSK for a 5GHZ SSID into the Apex Network Configuration and saved it, the Apex did not connect to that 5GHz wireless network - that simply is impossible - the wireless interface chipset is not capable of it.

NSI Member
    Sorry to disagree, RussM. Allow me to explain. I have many SSIDs. I have a 2.4GHz SSID called "Network2". I also have a 5GHz SSID called "Network5". In my very well-tested setup, the Apex (2016) would successfully upload the parameters and connect to Network5. But it wouldn't connect to Fusion or the Internet. I had to connect to Apex.local and then change the SSID to Network2. It would then upload the new parameters and connect to Network2. Everything worked at that point.
    The only way this could happen is if the router is accepting the "Network5" name on the 2.4Ghz network. Otherwise it is like trying using an AM radio to listen to an FM radio station.

New User
    Just thought I'd add here. I have a Netgear r7000 Nighthawk. The compatibility list shows this router is NOT supported. What I ended up doing was loading DD-WRT router software on my Netgear router and it works great. Anything that can load DD-WRT can be used with the AI Hydras. And to top it off, DD-WRT is better and add more functionality to your existing router!

New User
    I believe I have a router compatibility issue when trying to hook up my hydra26 lights. My router is a Linksys EA6350. It is listed in the compatibility addendum but the column for indicating compatibility is blank. Has anyone been able to to get this router to work? When I go through the setup process No IoTa devices are found.

Thanks

The EA6350v2 works fine with IOTA/AI with Apex wired or on Wi-Fi. It’s the router Neptune uses at trade shows to demonstrate IOTA/AI.

The addendum file has been fixed... sorry about that.

New User
    The EA6350v2 works fine with IOTA/AI with Apex wired or on Wi-Fi. It’s the router Neptune uses at trade shows to demonstrate IOTA/AI.

The addendum file has been fixed... sorry about that.
    Thanks Russ. I must be doing something else wrong. as No IoTa devices are showing up. I will run through the process again and verify that I am not missing something.

Regular Vistor
    im using google mesh wifi, and the ai hydras do NOT show up.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tolbert View Post
    im using google mesh wifi, and the ai hydras do NOT show up.
    I’m having this issue as well with Google mesh Wifi, no IOTA devices. Main router is Google fiber, whatever their standard router is. I gave up trying, the AI interface is ok

Regular Vistor
    I use the ASUS 5300 mesh. The new AI HDs work fine. However, I am having problems with the old AI 52s and the AWM modules. Within the last week, they quit working. If I reboot the APEX, they come on for a minute and turn off. Are all versions of the APEX classic and APEX fusion compatible? I can direct connect with the APEX and at least manually change them off or on. The schedule not longers works. And, I can not change them in fusion. Fusion does recognize the APEX controller.

Quote Originally Posted by fraggy View Post
    I use the ASUS 5300 mesh. The new AI HDs work fine. However, I am having problems with the old AI 52s and the AWM modules. Within the last week, they quit working. If I reboot the APEX, they come on for a minute and turn off. Are all versions of the APEX classic and APEX fusion compatible? I can direct connect with the APEX and at least manually change them off or on. The schedule not longers works. And, I can not change them in fusion. Fusion does recognize the APEX controller.
    Make sure all of your module firmwares are updated. Update them even if they say (OK)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fraggy View Post
    However, I am having problems with the old AI 52s and the AWM modules.
    Start a new thread please in a more suitable sub-forum. Your AWM/old Hydra issue is off-topic here in both this thread and this sub-forum.

Regular Vistor
    Using the Comcast provided Modem
    It is a Cisco
    XB3
    Model: DPC3941T

Does not appear to work... still trying to figure it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast