Thread: Apex Local Vs Apex Fusion, Classic VS Apex

New User

Apex Local Vs Apex Fusion, Classic VS Apex

im considering getting a Apex Classic for pond use, so i have several questions
    what is the difference between or benefit of "apex Local" vs "apex Fusion" can you tell me the differences or benefits

i plan on monitoring and controlling functions based on temp, ph and orp, Dosing Acid based on PH, Dosing Ozone based on orp to reduce dissolved organics . and temp to control a gas heater. i also plan on controlling 3 way valves to control different stream and waterfalls. and control waste cycles. .. i owned your 1st neptune controller and it did allot..i can only imagine yout newer systems so im excited.

APEX Fusion is a cloud-based user interface system which "lives" out on the Internet; it works with all Apex models. An Apex maintains constant communications with APEX Fusion, you access APEX Fusion using a web browser, iOS app, or Android app. One of the biggest benefits of APEX Fusion is that it is accessible from anywhere you have an Internet connection or cellular data service.... home, work, on vacation on the other side of the world. etc. APEX Fusion not only serves as a user interface, but it also sends alerts via email, text messages, and push notifications.

APEX Local is the built-in web-based user interface of the newest two Apex models (Apex and Apex EL); overall, it has the same look & feel as APEX Fusion.

Apex Classic models do not have APEX Local; instead, they have an older web-based user interface called the Classic Dashboard.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    this will help me decide weather to go with a classic or newest Apex controller

you say the classic has a older web based interface called classic dashboard..i thought classic and apex used the same cloud based interface.

so what your saying is the apex has the ability to run its interface without the use of the cloud..is that the only benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by prostarrc View Post
    this will help me decide weather to go with a classic or newest Apex controller

you say the classic has a older web based interface called classic dashboard..i thought classic and apex used the same cloud based interface.

so what your saying is the apex has the ability to run its interface without the use of the cloud..is that the only benefit?
    Yes, both the Classic and newer Apex models do have the same interface, Apex Fusion, when run from the cloud.

When run from your local network, they have different interfaces that are built into the onboard software - the Classic has the older GUI called the Classic Dash and the newer has Apex Local. Both the old and new built-in interfaces are 'web-based' in that they are coded in html and run in a browser.

Russ didn't mention it specifically, but there are also quite a few things you can do from Fusion that you can't do in either onboard interface, and that list is growing as more functions are added to Fusion.

New User
    thank you i have a good picture of the differences..really i dont need apex local for my use..

is it possible for this controller to be setup with other sensors ? such as nitrite or ammonium or light level sensors? either easily of through a custom bit of ingenuity and programming?

Neptune makes a sensor module called the ASM, with a BNC connector I believe. I have not explored it but it does offer the opportunity for custom sensor set ups. The module is actually only sold at retail as part of the PMK, the par monitoring kit that includes a PAR sensor. If you don't need the PAR sensor, it may be possible to purchase just the ASM by contacting Neptune sales support directly. They may question you about the specifics of your planned usage.

New User
    Can i used a sealed connector around the sensor and have them somewhat pressurized? Or would water blow ojt the top of them. Meaning i dont have a sump . I have a pressurized system . Ive seen on the interweb ph and orp sensors wjth threaded connections..jve also seen adapters that seal around these sensors ..thoughts?

The PAR sensor that comes with that kit is designed for underwater use. As far as the Apex probes, temp, ph, ORP and conductivity/salinity, I'm sure it's possible to create bulkheads with rubber seals for them but I've never done it.

New User
    what is the advantage of using a EB838 versus the Eb8 bar, i understand the eb838 shows energy usage but what else does ti do over the standard eb8?

what is the advantage of using a EB838 versus the Eb8 bar, i understand the eb838 shows energy usage but what else does ti do over the standard eb8?
    Built in 1link and 24V ports and the energy monitoring can be used to detect equipment failures.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    im gearing my controller for pond use, i dont think i will use 1link, but what is 24v port..does it output a 24vdc used for solenoids? etc?
    also will old DC8 bars work with the newest Apex?

what is 24v port..does it output a 24vdc used for solenoids? etc?
    Yes. More info here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-ACC-Ports-FAQ

im gearing my controller for pond use, i dont think i will use 1link, but what is 24v port..does it output a 24vdc used for solenoids? etc?
    also will old DC8 bars work with the newest Apex?
    The really old DC8 (& DC4HD) from back in the AC2 & AC3 (pre-Apex) days cannot be used with the newest two Apex models. The EnergyBar 4 (EB4) & EnergyBar 8 (EB8) can be used with them.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Those 24v outlets is it possible to buy just a connector or pigtail to plug right in your diy device?

Also is there a relay module available to hardwire switched diy things?

Those 24v outlets is it possible to buy just a connector or pigtail to plug right in your diy device?

Also is there a relay module available to hardwire switched diy things?
    They sell a bare wire cable that connects to the 24V port.

No relay module, but you can use the 24V port to power a 24V relay if you want to switch DIY things.

New User
    i had one of the very first neptune systems..at the time it used x10 relays this was very useful this was 20 years ago.. at the time i connected it to a x10 compatible relay module to control basically anything ...is the new apex have the ability to control x10?

i had one of the very first neptune systems..at the time it used x10 relays this was very useful this was 20 years ago.. at the time i connected it to a x10 compatible relay module to control basically anything ...is the new apex have the ability to control x10?
    No X10.

New User
    is the apex classic capable of controlling x10?
    found it this is what i used l http://www.appdig.com/RLY8XA/rly8-xa.html

is the apex classic capable of controlling x10?
    found it this is what i used l http://www.appdig.com/RLY8XA/rly8-xa.html
    The classic can control x10

New User
    back to the newest apex, can the 0-10v dimmer outputs be wired to control relays instead and programmed to do what i want..or are those outputs limited in programmability? maybe use these http://www.controlshvac.com/ADA-1-0-...HVAC_p_58.html

back to the newest apex, can the 0-10v dimmer outputs be wired to control relays instead and programmed to do what i want..or are those outputs limited in programmability?
    Yes, but you have to use optocouplers instead of traditional relays because they don't have much loading capability.

New User
    do you happen to know the loading capability ? is there a thread on here talking about this?

this might work https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-V...848077495.html

do you happen to know the loading capability ? is there a thread on here talking about this?

this might work https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-V...848077495.html
    20mA max

New User
    can someone tell me is this would work https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-V...848077495.html

can someone tell me is this would work https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12-V...848077495.html
    That style would work, but I would suggest getting one made by a more reputable company such as adafruit that actually provides documentation and specifications.