Thread: ATK line plugged?

Frequent Visitor

ATK line plugged?

The impeller on my PMUP shattered a couple of weeks ago and I received the replacement last Wednesday. So I manually topped off for 5 or 6 days. Ever since the new one arrived I have been getting errors because the fill up time exceeds the max time programmed. Well, today I had a few extra minutes before moving onto the next honey-do. I manually turned on the PMUP and noticed a HEAVY stream coming out of the anti-siphon. Looking at the outlet in my sump I found virtually no output. Just a few drips. I made sure the float was fully down and still nothing. When moving the float up the flow completely stopped. I removed the sensor assembly as far as I could (sensor wires zip tied onto other wires) and managed to blow into the outlet. Met ALOT of resistance. So obviously something is in there clogging it up. Am I able to take the sensor assembly apart and clean out the flow path? I dont want to start torquing on the nylon nuts and break something, so looking to get confirmation first.

Time to move onto the next chore my wife assigned me...

You can unscrew the 90 elbow fitting and look inside the float valve for any debris that might be clogging it. You can remove the float valve from the ATK bracket too if needed for inspection and perhaps flushing it out; just make sure you mount the valve back in the bracket with the proper orientation - like this:

Float-valve.png
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Russ. The elbow is on very tight and I didnt have a pair of pliers handy so I will check that tomorrow. I did take the float off and blew into the elbow. A white plastic cap blew out. I am assuming this is the stopper for the flow so I reinserted it and put the float back on. I am still getting drops rather than a steady stream coming out, and the siphon on the PMUP is still blowing out pretty hard.

So my question to you is, should a steady stream be coming from the sensor assembly or is it designed to be drops? Looking at the small hole the plastic cap is covering makes me think drops.

Should be a fairly steady flow out of the float (or fast drops if you have high height change) similar to that of an aqualifter but a little faster. The siphon break should drip slowly.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    If the siphon break is a one way check valve you may have installed it reversed. That would explain the lack of flow and the high pressure/heavy leak on the PMUP side of the assembly.
    Check and see of there's an arrow indicating flow direction on the siphon break fitting.
    You could also temporarely remove the siphon and see if this restores the flow.

Frequent Visitor
    Had a few extra minutes today so I got to work on the sensor assembly again. Tell Hercules or King Kong or whoever else you have working there that tightened the elbow on to the assembly, they lost. It took a couple pair of pliers and a whole lot of cursing but I finally got it off. Ended up being a few dried asterina starfish dried on to the opening which was reducing the flow. They must have gotten in there the weekly ATK was turned off. Put it back together blue through the elbow and no restricted flow. Turn the pump on and I have plenty of flow now.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Simon P View Post
    If the siphon break is a one way check valve you may have installed it reversed. That would explain the lack of flow and the high pressure/heavy leak on the PMUP side of the assembly.
    Check and see of there's an arrow indicating flow direction on the siphon break fitting.
    You could also temporarely remove the siphon and see if this restores the flow.
    The siphon break isn't a check valve (hence why it must be located in the reservoir and not the sump). It's basically a push connect union with a tiny hole drilled in the side.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The siphon break should drip slowly.
    The siphon break included with the ATK will not "drip slowly" under normal conditions. There should be a fine steady jet of water coming out of the 1mm hole.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The siphon break included with the ATK will not "drip slowly" under normal conditions. There should be a fine steady jet of water coming out of the 1mm hole.
    For sure! Be sure the orientation of the stream is pointed in a direction that will go back into your resevoir etc. I didn't pay attention and I had nice little fountain next to the tank when the PMUP kicked on. At least it was RODI water.
    Chad

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Originally it was. But when the outlet was plugged the stream was much bigger and more forceful. Now that the hole on the sensor assembly is cleaned the stream is back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by iamchadster View Post
    For sure! Be sure the orientation of the stream is pointed in a direction that will go back into your resevoir etc. I didn't pay attention and I had nice little fountain next to the tank when the PMUP kicked on. At least it was RODI water.
    Lets just say Yup.

Regular Vistor
    Same thing happened to me. Wonder why there isn’t a way to filter it so this doesn’t keep happening. I know my last ATO had one that prevented it from getting clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by benibarra23 View Post
    Same thing happened to me. Wonder why there isn’t a way to filter it so this doesn’t keep happening. I know my last ATO had one that prevented it from getting clogged.
    It's not the prettiest way, but the media filter bags tied around an ATO pump work really well.