Thread: New (to me) Apex will not connect.

Regular Vistor

New (to me) Apex will not connect.

I purchased a used Apex Lite and i'm trying to connect it so I can start using it. First and foremost, this in my first controller so i'm not knowledgeable about Apex at all.

I have my apex wired via ethernet to my router and my pc hard wired to the same router. I downloaded the latest software and while running the Flash Utility I get the following.

Loading firmware file into memory
    Firmware file load complete...
    Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector
    Calculating Apex Start Checksum Vector complete...
    The controller address is: 192.168.1.50
    Connecting to controller at address: 192.168.1.50
    Connecting
    Apex running in boot loader mode
    Trying to connect: attempt 1
    Waiting for input from Apex, timed out
    Trying to connect: attempt 2
    Found ARP entry at address: 192.168.1.171
    Waiting for input from Apex, timed out
    Trying to connect: attempt 3
    Found ARP entry at address: 192.168.1.171

Also, on my display the IP address reads 192.168.1.50

On the main display it reads Apex Fusion: Down.

When I try to type the IP address into a browser page it times out as well.

I really have no idea how to proceed. Firewall and anti virus are both off. I've been tinkering with this thing all weekend on and off. Doing my research and trying other solutions I've come across and nothing is working. I still end up with the same result which is nothing. I'm close to giving up on the controller but I really want to get it working.

Is DHCP enabled in the Apex Lite? Do you have network link LEDs lit on both the router and Apex Lite (the green LED on the Ethernet jack on the Lite)?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Is DHCP enabled in the Apex Lite? Do you have network link LEDs lit on both the router and Apex Lite (the green LED on the Ethernet jack on the Lite)?
    Yes and yes

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Any ideas?

Make sure you do a reboot. If you just plugged the ethernet in without one it wont connect.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Make sure you do a reboot. If you just plugged the ethernet in without one it wont connect.

I've restarted the controller probably 100 times. I've also done a full whip of it a few times as well. I'm at a complete lose.

Have you verified the ethernet cable is good and that the port appears in good shape?

Regular Vistor
    Have you verified the ethernet cable is good and that the port appears in good shape?

Yes I made a cord from a spool I have and thought maybe I did it wrong so I got a new cable from the store. Port looks fine and it's showing a green light. The router is also showing something is attached to that port.

Can you ping the ip address? Have you tried accessing the classic dashboard yet?

Regular Vistor
    Can you ping the ip address? Have you tried accessing the classic dashboard yet?

I'm not sure what ping means. I've tried typing in the IP address the controller gives be into Google chrome. It times out and says to check firewall, etc. Everything is off.

Ping is a useful command that you use in Mac terminal or Windows command prompt. Just type ping ipaddress and it will tell you if it's getting through at all.

Regular Vistor
    Ping is a useful command that you use in Mac terminal or Windows command prompt. Just type ping ipaddress and it will tell you if it's getting through at all.

Ok I will have to try that tomorrow and report back. Where exactly do I find the command prompt

Quote Originally Posted by NineAndAhalf View Post
    Ok I will have to try that tomorrow and report back. Where exactly do I find the command prompt

Depends on the version of Windows or Mac used. Just Google search "where is command prompt on (my operating system and version)" and there will be step by step guides. If using Windows 10 just type cmd or command prompt in the windows search bar and it will pop up.

Regular Vistor
    Depends on the version of Windows or Mac used. Just Google search "where is command prompt on (my operating system and version)" and there will be step by step guides. If using Windows 10 just type cmd or command prompt in the windows search bar and it will pop up.

Thanks for your help. I'll report back

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by NineAndAhalf View Post

So I was able to update firmware by connecting my base unit to my PC via ethernet and manually entering IP address. However when I plug everything back into the system to update the web pages I get this message...

"Uploading file: aihost.bin...

Operation failed with the following error information:

The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly.

The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly."

Any idea what could be going wrong now?

I don't remember if that error code was doing the upload too early or something else, but make sure you wait until the apex has fully booted before updating webpages or it won't work.

Regular Vistor
    I don't remember if that error code was doing the upload too early or something else, but make sure you wait until the apex has fully booted before updating webpages or it won't work.

I waited for all lights to stop flashing and stay solid green before proceeding. Should I re-do the firmware update via direct connection and try to update web pages again? Waiting a minute or so between? Also should I restart the controller before updating web pages?

Just try the webpages over. You don't have to redo the base firmware and it automatically restarts when you finished the base firmware.

Regular Vistor
    Just try the webpages over. You don't have to redo the base firmware and it automatically restarts when you finished the base firmware.

I keep getting a timed out error now. I'll try to restart in safe mode real quick and see if I can get it.

Regular Vistor

I'm still only getting this message

Uploading file: aihost.bin...

Unable to connect to the remote server

Is it possible the base unit is fried?

Double check ip settings like you did when you got set up for the firmware update and make sure you can ping the apex.

Regular Vistor
    Double check ip settings like you did when you got set up for the firmware update and make sure you can ping the apex.

Pinging 192.168.5.105 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.5.105: bytes=32 time =1ms TTL=64
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.5.105: bytes=32 time =1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.5.105
    Packets: Sent = 4, revieved = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds"
    Minimum = 1ms, maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

Looks like it's got a connection but it's not a very good one. Makes me think that there might be some bent pins or corrosion on the ethernet port on the apex. I would give that a look over and bens up with tweezers and/or clean with electrical contact cleaner and a q tip (powered down) and see if maybe it improves. Considering the connection is spotty, I would redo the firmware once you can get it stable since a single missed packet can cause some major bugs in that.

Regular Vistor
    Looks like it's got a connection but it's not a very good one. Makes me think that there might be some bent pins or corrosion on the ethernet port on the apex. I would give that a look over and bens up with tweezers and/or clean with electrical contact cleaner and a q tip (powered down) and see if maybe it improves. Considering the connection is spotty, I would redo the firmware once you can get it stable since a single missed packet can cause some major bugs in that.

Excellent. I'll have a look at that tomorrow. Thanks again for your time

Regular Vistor
    I didnt see anything of major concern but I took a q tip and cleaned out the port. Straightened out one slot that looked ever so slightly off and plugged it back it. Immediately was about to update firmware again and successfully updated web pages. Now i'm connected to the dashboard as well as fusion. Oh, and the ping was 100% successful but that's kind of obvious lol.

Thanks again for your help! This forum is quite amazing.