Thread: Gcfi and eb8 to outlets

Frequent Visitor

Gcfi and eb8 to outlets

Does any any have thoughts with regards to wiring gcfi wall outlets to the outlets of a eb8? Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Needed? Or overkill if I have gcfi on the plug to power the eb8?

Does anyone have experience wiring wall outlets to the eb8? Do able?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor
    No issues. Been on one since 2010. Has NEVER tripped on its own Also using a ground probe (For all of those who want to spread myths about that).

Frequent Visitor

Gcfi and eb8 to outlets

Did you wire the outlet to a plug which you inserted into the eb8? Or did you take the eb8 apart? Were you able to get a electrician to do this?

GFCI only work to plug the eb8 power cord into. Do not attempt any other way as that is not only dangerous, but is actually illegal (as NEC compliance is actual law you can get fined over or have insurance claims denied over).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I am afraid I don't understand your reply. The outlet (receptical) is a GFI. You can have an electrical wire install one. Although anyone comfortable with electrical can wire it in at a fraction of the cost.

But an electrician is always the best bet.

I believe zombie was cautioning against any attempt to rewire the outlets in an EnergyBar itself with GFCI receptacles.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I believe zombie was cautioning against any attempt to rewire the outlets in an EnergyBar itself with GFCI receptacles.
    Correct that's exactly what I was cautioning

GFCI outlets are safe to use with the apex if wired correctly per NEC (watch out for aluminum wiring and make sure you don't forget the ground). One thing to be cognizant of tough is that some devices (notably T5 lighting and a few large pumps) can sometimes trip off a GFCI when nothing is wrong and sometimes grounding probes can also trip them off when nothing is wrong.

Frequent Visitor

Gcfi and eb8 to outlets

I was thinking of having an electrician install 8 gcfi outlets and instead of hooking them up to the main house circuit, have them wired to the adjacent room...at this room, Change wires to a three prong (8 of these) and plug into apex eb8. The eb8 would be plugged into a gcfi outlet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That would likely be a waste of money and effort since the GFCI outlets will not coordinate (the main and the downstream will both trip even if the problem was downstream). I would have to double check the NEC, but I don't believe you are allowed to do that per code (I believe this violates the branch circuit section of wiring methods).

Could you explain why you want to do this? There may be a better way without spending hundreds of dollars on an electrician and parts.

Just double checked and I'm 99% sure it violates section 400.8....there is an exception if the wiring method used an extension cord to feed a permanently wired setup like these used for TVs
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-I...2-KW/204412643

Frequent Visitor
    Just trying to get a clean looking wired system, will less wires and apex devices under the tank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...d-(Share-Pics)

Tons of great ideas here for a verrrrrry clean look.

Frequent Visitor
    Have an electrician install a GFCI circuit breaker in the panel on the outlet circuit. The NEC also states if not easily accessible a GFcI circuit breaker shall be utilized in lieu of GFCI outlet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks everyone for the help, I think I got all the answers