Thread: DYI water changes?

New User

DYI water changes?

I am new to the APEX and haven't decided if I want to buy one yet instead of using a open source DYI controller I have currently. I think the open source one isn't being supported by the person who did it anymore. So I was thinking of changing to apex, but I a little Leary of how flexible it would be.

I was wondering if I got a break out box would I be able to program a custom water changing system using my own pumps or would I have to buy the DOS system? The breakout box would have the sensors tied to it and I would drive the pumps with the outlets. I also probably get the ATK unit so I need to be able to shut the ATO off during the water change etc.

The apex is more than capable of doing AWC without a DOS. However, the programming for it to do so is fairly complex and I would not suggest doing it unless you design a setup that is redundant for the failure of any element.

Using the DOS makes things much simpler and all you need for redundancy are some float switches that you would use for ATO anyway and the cond probe that is included in the apex.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    How much can you change out in a day using the DOS? I had some problems bringing up my tank the first time and needed to do some major amounts of water changes. I was wondering if the DOS would be fairly slow at changing water out.

Quote Originally Posted by geekengineer View Post
    How much can you change out in a day using the DOS? I had some problems bringing up my tank the first time and needed to do some major amounts of water changes. I was wondering if the DOS would be fairly slow at changing water out.
    Max is 30 gallons per day. When used for continuous AWC as it's designed for, that is good for a 2100 gallon system. Emergency large changes are best done manually with pumps and/or buckets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk