Thread: Dosing Alkalinity & Calcium

Frequent Visitor

Question Dosing Alkalinity & Calcium

Hi fellow reefers. My tank is still pretty new and don't need to dose at the moment. I do want to be ready when the time comes.

I've purchased the Neptune DOS with the Dual Reservoir. Any recommendation on which Alkalinity & Calcium product I should be using?

I use the BRS stuff cause it's super cheap and lasts forever. You just have to mix it with water yourself.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I use the BRS stuff cause it's super cheap and lasts forever. You just have to mix it with water yourself.

I'm on their page now. Confusing. Which product is it? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/calci...ments/brs.html

I use this one.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2...kage-bulk.html

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I use this one.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2...kage-bulk.html

Thank you. I was confused because it says 2 Part Calcium & Alkalinity Total Package, but the details show Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium Chloride, and Magnesium Sulfate.

The mag is a mix between the two mag substances.

I'm using SeaChem Reef Fusion 1 & 2. Largely because it's what I got from my lfs when I first set up this tank and haven't yet seen fit to try something else. Just put it right in the DOS dispensers. Convenient but pricey. If I had a much larger tank and/or more tanks, I'd mix my own too.

New User
    Likewise I have not had the need to dose 2part yet. But I have a DOS and Dual Reservoir ready. I am setting it up soon. The only thing that gives me reservations is the size of the dual reservoir. Everything I see has BRS mixing in gallon jugs or larger. How often do you expect to need to refill the DDR? How many mL does it hold?

You can also cut the recipe too. I mix in half batches cause it makes it a million times easier to mix. Each vessel is half a gallon so that's the perfect amount to mix. You could even do 1 quart mixes and keep them topped off before they're empty.

The DDR hold 2 liters in each reservoir. How often it needs to be refilled depends on usage - it could last a week, or a few months. You need not mix only the amount to be used to refill the DDR - just mix a gallon at a time.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The DDR hold 2 liters in each reservoir. How often it needs to be refilled depends on usage - it could last a week, or a few months. You need not mix only the amount to be used to refill the DDR - just mix a gallon at a time.
    excellent. Great point. Thank you.