Thread: Run kessil with one var speed

Regular Vistor

Run kessil with one var speed

I currently have my Kessler running through var speed 1 and 2. and I have my wavemakers hooked up to 3 and 4, I just got a reef octopus varios and would like to set it up on one of the var speed outlets, but I don't want to get a VDM yet. Does anyone's know if I can set the color at a constant level and only use varspeed one t control the intensity? And use the other one for the ret

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycow View Post
    I currently have my Kessler running through var speed 1 and 2. and I have my wavemakers hooked up to 3 and 4, I just got a reef octopus varios and would like to set it up on one of the var speed outlets, but I don't want to get a VDM yet. Does anyone's know if I can set the color at a constant level and only use varspeed one t control the intensity? And use the other one for the ret
    Did anyone get back to you? I have the same question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ufo8mycow View Post
    Well ... If you are good with DIY you can do it
    You need to change the cables so that you can book a 10v power source to the intensity of the kessil and free one vdm port.

It's going to be complex and if dont know how to work with a multimeter and have basic electronic skills I would not risk it

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    If you buy this cable, I assume if you plug one of the mono jack ends into the kessil it would control a single channel (you might have to experiment with which one to use)... but that's just an assumption.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-modu...le-icecap.html
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
    If you buy this cable, I assume if you plug one of the mono jack ends into the kessil it would control a single channel (you might have to experiment with which one to use)... but that's just an assumption.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-modu...le-icecap.html
    But that does not control intensity. Then in the jack that plugs into kessil he would have to replace with a triple one, plug the 10v power source and a piece to ensure no back current to apex as the ground must be the same ...
    Again it's doable but you need to know what you are doing

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You have 2 options and they both suck IMO

1. Take a stereo cable and and connect the tip to the positive VDM channel and the sleeve to the negative channel. Wire a 10V power supply to the two outside legs of a potentiometer (positive goes on the one with full resistance between it and the center when turned all the way left). Then tie the negative of the power supply to the sleeve of the cable and the center of the potentiometer to the ring of the cable.

This will let you control color with a knob and intensity with the apex, but the shared ground has a very small but possible chance of blowing your port is something fails with the supply or you make a wiring error (almost guaranteed if you make a wiring error)

2. Use a mono cable. Connect the tip to the positive VDM port and the sleeve to the negative VDM port. This is safer than 1 and will make the color full white at 100% light intensity and full blue at 1%. You will have no control over the color beyond that but at least it will kind of do what most people ramp with anyway.

3. I know I said 2 at the top but there is always the option of buying another VDM. That's what I would do and who knows...those extra ports could be useful for another powerhead, DC return or skimmer, etc.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.